1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

annoying noises

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Local Touch 1, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Local Touch 1

Local Touch 1 Junior Member
    from ohio

Whats up everyone, hope you guys are staying busy, i am. I have a 95 dodge ram 1500 with 106k on it. My question is there is a bad squeek and light clunking noise. It only happens when I put it in 4 wheel drive. It is right under the drivers seat. There are four u-joints there and the constant velocity. Both noises are coming from that erea. What do you guys think it is. Maybe someone has the same problem? Hope someone knows what it could be. It is driving me nuts. Thanx for the help.

2. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

Probably one of the U-joints or the CV joint is going bad from the lack of grease. Best to replace it now before it totally goes. They always grenade at the most inopertune time.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

It sounds like it could be the u-joints in the shaft.There should a double cardan joint at the transfer case front output flange,and a single joint at the front diff.Is there any noticable play in the shaft or joints ? The most common one would be the one at the front diff,as it is exposed to the elements more.

You can also check for an internal transfer case problam by putting it in 4WD (trans in park)and turning the front shaft back and forth.If it turns alot then you may have a chain or internal TC problem.I would also check for a loose or bad trans mount.

4. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

More than likely its one of your u joints . Just replaced both axle u joints on 88 f250 squelling and clunking like hell last snow storm.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We just replaced the double cardan joint on my 89 K-30 and the single joint at the front dif. It would squeek when in 4wd. Upon inspection, you could see the joint on an angle in the cup on the lower side of the cardan joint. My wife works at a heavy truck garage, and they have a driveshaft shop. We dropped the joint off, and with in an hour the double joint and the single lower joint we replaced and it only cost me 45.00 total parts and labor. Her job saves me money every week.
    Dino

6. Local Touch 1

Local Touch 1 Junior Member
    from ohio

thanx

thanx for the help guys. Taking it in tomorrow. See what they say it is.