1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Annoying banging

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BPK63, Feb 21, 2011.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I thought maybe somebody in this forum would have heard of this before. 92 K1500, truck runs good. When I step on the gas or hit the brake, as it would seem, something that would slightly rock the cab, I have this annoying banging noise that sounds like it's coming from under the passenger seat. It sounds just like if somebody took a hammer and was tapping on the metal in the back of the cab. I actually thought it was jumper cables that were loose and the clamp end was swinging back and forth and banging against the back of the cab but I took everything out and still have the noise. I assume maybe some kind of cab mount gone bad? Any ideas?
  2. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Driveshaft or u joint. Then excessive play in a differential.
  3. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Why not get underneath and look?
  4. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I got under and looked, but didn't see anything. It's definately not driveshaft related. This only happens when the cab rocks when I hit the gas or the brake. Sometimes also going over bumps.
  5. starc

starc Senior Member

I had the problem once on a Ford. There was an extra pan type piece attached the the floor that acted as a heat shield for the exhaust. I just had to put in a couple screws in to re attach it.
  6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Do the body lines line up from the cab to the box? I had a 93 that had a rubber body mount rot a perfect circle through the frame mount...make sense?
  7. JerseySnow

JerseySnow Junior Member
    from 908

Your Muffler is hitting the cab or bed grab it with 2 hands and shake as hard as you can
  8. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Check your exhaust. Pretty common for it to hit the crossmember for the torsion bars. Shake it, bang on it. Check everything. Take a flashlight and start looking! It can be about anything. Noises on vehicles tend to travel and can sound like they are coming from one place when really they are coming from another.
  9. Sir Roy

Sir Roy Junior Member

I once had a rock wedged between the cab and frame. It about drove me nuts until I found it.:dizzy:
  10. matzke3

matzke3 Member

I have an 86 Chevy for a salt and sidewalk truck that is RUSTY. Three out of four cab mounts are rusted off and it makes a good bang on bumps. The large washer that squeezes the lower mount rubber likes to rust off GMs.
  11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

My rear u joint clunks like that when it is going bad.
  12. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Do a google search on this TSB
    #01-04-17-004B: Clunk, Bump or Squawk when Vehicle Comes to Complete Stop or Accelerating from Complete Stop or Accelerating from Complete Stop

A slip/stick condition between the transfer case output shaft and the driveshaft slip yoke can cause this noise. Many guys just take the shaft off and use some heavy marine grease on the slip yoke.
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If the cab is rocking, I'm guessing the cab is moving in relation to the frame. As mention, check the cab mounts.
  14. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I finally took this to the garage for some small things to be done and they found the banging noise. Two mounting bolts on the tranny missing. At least it wasn't something cracked as I had feared.
  15. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Be a good time to replace that tranny mount!