1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Angling ram leaking fluid

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Woodland, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I noticed on this last storm that one of the angling rams is leaking a small amount of fluid. It only seems to leak when the blade is raised. I checked the reservoir and there is no noticeable deficit. Can I attempt to tighten the large nut on the end of the cylinder or is this likely something more sinister? Is a trip to the dealer in order, perhaps? FYI the plow is brand new this season.

2. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

You may have a slightly leaking seal at the end of the cylinder. Tightening the nut, which is a packing gland, on the cylinder may or may not help. If it's new this year I would head back to the dealer and have then take a look at it.

Worst case is that the cylinder rod has a slight score on it and has cut into the cylinder seal. That would be rare but a new cylinder should be in order if that's the case.

3. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Took it back to the dealer today. The nut was plenty tight so they replaced the packing. Seems to have solved the problem. No more blue snow!