1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

angling problem

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by cward05, Nov 14, 2004.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

fisher angling problem

Hello, I own an older style fisher plow with belt driven hydraulics. I finally got to test it out the other day (first snow of the season, and first time plowing) and it was amazing! But, I seem to have run into a problem...when I try to angle the blade, nothing happens. It turns maybe a quarter an inch, then makes a squeeling noise. It was working fine when I put it away for the season, but now it is not angling. Since then, the only thing I have done was to replace the pump fluid. Could it be air in the lines? I (removed the old fluid with a turkey baster and filled it with new fluid) If not, the only other thing I can think it may be is that the right hose going to the right angling piston is at a 90 degree angle. Could it be cutting of the fluid supply? Also, the quick cupler to this same hose seems to be loose since I can take it off without releasing the cupler. The hose doesn't seem to reach the cupler (I have to yank it hard to make it fit) Is there anyway to fix this? Its on the middle holes under the truck. If I move it to the lower hole might that work? If anyone could give me detailed instructions on how to fix this problem, I would greately appreciate it! Thanks!

Christian

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd say you've already hit on the problem - likely air in the lines. First make sure all the couplings and hoses fit tight. Sounds like you may need to replace a coupler and some hose. Then fill with fluid. Work the system by raising and angling. You may need to angle the plow by hand the first couple of times. Check the fluid level and add if needed. Eventually, all the air should work its way back to the pump and be replaced by fluid. As the air gets worked out, you should notice the angling improving. As your doing this, check the rams for pits or corrosion as these will also keep the plow from angling. If pitted or corroded, the rams will need replaced. If not corroded so as to need replaced, make sure they are coated with oil.

Just a point - I'm wondering why you used a turkey baster to remove the old hydraulic fluid. There should be a drain plug.

3. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Check the coupler and hose. I messed around for almost a day with an angle issue on my old Western. I had just replaced the quick couplers with new but it wouldn't angle like it should. After messing with the cable adjustments for a few hours I went to the local farm supply store and got 2 new couplers.

That solved my problems. The first new set of couplers were bad I guess.

Good luck,
    Mark K

4. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

someone suggested to me from this site actually and it worked just fine.

5. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

so I can just raise the plow and while someone uses the hand control to angle the blade, push it foward and backward by hand?

6. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

HEY! My idea worked about the bottom holes! If I use them the hose reaches. Thanks for the help everyone.