1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

angling pistions fully extended and can't retract!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Melo Properties, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Melo Properties

Melo Properties Junior Member

I took the angling pistons of my hd9 fisher plow to sandblast and paint. When I tried to put the pistons back they did not line up with the pin holes. I figured I would angle the pistons and maybe I could get them close enough that I could fine tune by hand. I ended up having both pistons full extended and can't figure out what how to relax the pressure causing them to extend. I'm fairly sure that they are spring retract so if I can get the pressure off of the bottom the pistions should just go back to the retracted positon. Does anyone know how to let the pressure out of these things so that I can try to adjust them on the plow and put the pins back in?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They are NOT spring retracted. When one cylinder extends the hydraulic force of the extending cylinder compresses the other...and vise versa.

If you relieve the hydraulic pressure in the rams by either disconencting the hoses at the rams (or if it's a conventional mount) by inserting a spare half of a mating quick coupler into the other half of the coupler already on the hose you can then collapse the ram by tapping on the end of it with a block of wood and a hammer until it's the correct length for the pin holes to line up.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Catch the fluid when you retract the rams with the hose OFF.
  4. Melo Properties

thanks guys, did just that and we now have a plow ready to go!!!
  5. Melo Properties

did find out that they are not spring retacted.