1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

angling on old western

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by lazarus, Oct 28, 2010.

1. lazarus

lazarus Junior Member

not sure what's goin on but can't angle left or right on my old western mark. up and down is fine. it makes noise like it wants to turn but doesnt turn at all. looked at manual but not totally sure what to do. any ideas would be appreciated.
  2. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

3. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

check your fluids. if mine is just a little low i have the same problem.
  4. lukynskywyrd

lukynskywyrd Member
    from wisc.

just got done with my Mark IIIa

First check the fluid level. Replace the quick connects....I have a brand new one that wouldnt allow fluid to go back into the manifold. Are the hoses in good condition, fittings on the rams clear? Cables...are they adjusted. Open the 4 way valve cover, jump the motor solenoid and move the levers buy hand. If the rams angle then its a cable adjustment. Is the filter on the pump clean, the o ring under the pump in good shape. They probably are since the ram moves up and that takes alot more pressure to lift than angle but it never hurts to check. You probably have to adjust the cable, there is set screw holding it in place and an adjustment nut on top. Move the cable via the adjustment nut until the pointer on the valve is in line with the roll pin...this is neutral and the joystick should be in the center as well. Moving the joystick to the rt will swing the valve 45* up and left will swing it 45* down. This is the max travel..anything beyond needs to be adjusted accordingly with the nut. I have the same unit on an old 86 Chevy.