1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Angling Fisher Plow Problems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by koopster, Jan 21, 2004.

1. koopster

koopster Junior Member

I need some help with a problem I am having with my plow. It is a 6 1/2 foot fisher plow, cable operated electo-hydraulic. The plow would go up and down no problem, but would not angle. I took it to the hydrualic shop, and they put a new motor and pump in the unit, and a new main valve. I got the unit back and it would not go left or right, and when you hit the snow more on oneside than the other, the plow would angle off. They then put new relief valves and springs in it. Now it will go up and down, (however when the lever is in the full down position, and the plow is on the ground, it is hard, almost impossible to get the ram to go down the extra couple inches that are left.)
    It will angle left and right, (however it is backwards to what the lever is) when it is on the ground. If you raise the plow, you cannot angle it, and it will almost stall the engine if you try.
    They told me that when the cables are unhooked and they just move the valves, everything is fine. When you hook up the cables again, you run into this problem.

1. If the relief valves are set up and working, why can you put so much load on the pump it almost stalls the truck?
    2. What could the cables have to do with the fact it works with the plow on the ground, but not in the air?
    3. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before?

Thanks Guys, I know this is the only place on earth where a fellow can get answers to the real tough plow questions.

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like the dealer just changes everything untill he finds something that works. Now to answer your question. Yes this happened to me after a new install. It turned out to be that the main harness was so stiff in the cold that it wiggled the main plug and caused a bad connection and when you raised the plow you could not angle it to the right. This was embarassing as an installer but fixed cheaply without tearing everything apart. As far as the truck stalling, it sounds like your battery is depleated. This will cause a stall.Test your batt. and alt. Name of the game on problems is to rule out the no cost items first and work your way back up. I hope they didn't charge you for all that other stuff
  3. koopster

koopster Junior Member

Thanks Bolts. I will check the battery as it is old, the alternator is new. The plow was acting up like this in their shop where it was nice and warm. I was out plowing a bit with it tonight, and it seems that the problem may be in the cable adjustment a bit as well. I had the plow actually angle a bit for me when it was raised, and also had it angle a bit instead of raising as well once. I will get it into my own garage (when I can get a bit more space cleared out) and have a closer look at everything myself.
    The shop was working on it for four days, they charged me for the parts they replaced, and for four hours labour.

Maybe I need to look at one of your Blizzards!

I lived in Sackville and Fall River for years before moving to St.John's, where are you guys located? I'll have to drop in for a visit when I am over there in a month or so.