1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

angling cylinders

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by jersey250, Dec 8, 2006.

1. jersey250

jersey250 Member

I have a meyer 7.5 it is used, Dont know much about the maintenance done on it. But the plow will not angle left of right. Now everything rusted but when I connect the left and right side together it still does not move. does this sound like a seized cylinder

2. StorksAuto

StorksAuto Senior Member

If you hook the cylinders together and can not get it to angle then you know it is a problem with the blade take the back bolts out of the cylinders ane see if it moves properly then take the hoses off the cylinders and 1 at a time try to see if it will angle to see what cylinder is bad. If they are pitted or rusty throw them both out and get new ones pitted cylinders take water in and cause freeze up

Jeen

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It is not likely the piston is seized in the boor, stuck maybe but not sized.

rubber to steel....

If they are full of water and are frozen that would stop them from moving.

Are the couplers in good shape?
    They will go bad and not couple together very well thus not letting fluid pass.

Try what stork mentioned if the rest fails. pull the bolts/pins that hold the rams on and see if the plow swings side to side with out the rams hooked up.
    If it still does not swing then their is a problem with the pivot on the A frame.

I would mount the plow on the truck. Go find a big tree, put one corner of the plow up against it. Then I would try to move the plow with the controller as I was pushing it against the tree. You do not need to put a lot of pressure on it, just enough to pop it free.

4. StorksAuto

StorksAuto Senior Member

Yea maybe the way I explained it was not real clear when I said take the bolts out I meant take the cylinders off and see if the blade will turn on if it does re install the cylinders one at a time to see what side is stuck

5. jersey250

jersey250 Member

I removed both cylinders and hooked them up individually and they still didn't work

6. StorksAuto

StorksAuto Senior Member

When they are off does the blade move freely?

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

When you are applying pressure (trying to swing the plow) to a ram does the hose flex.
    If it does then the couplers are working.
    If they do not flex then replace the couplers.

check the couplers for dirt and that they are fully engaged.

8. jersey250

jersey250 Member

1 coupler I know is bad but the other is good. Just to give you an idea the mold board is rusted through at the ribbs so I dont dont think he maintained his plow

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The bad coupler could be making a hydraulic lock out of the ram not allowing it to move side to side.

10. jersey250

jersey250 Member

1 bad one can make them both not work

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

If the fluid can not escape or enter the ram with the bad coupler it would lock things up.
    Not allowing the plow to swing.

12. jersey250

jersey250 Member

thanks for your help, Im also having a problem with my night sabers know anything about wiring for an 03 superduty

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

nope, I'm not very familiar with the wiring on them.

But I'm sure someone will help you out with that.
    you might get more responses if you start a new thread with your light problem.

After you get some new coulpers and you still have a problem with your plow I would start
    trying some of the other ideas that were posted.

Hope you get things straightened out before your hit with a snow storm...

14. jersey250

jersey250 Member

dont worry order 2 new cylinders and a hose coupler kit just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything thanks for your help

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Do your rams have deep pitts, nicked up or leaking?
    If not you may just need some new couplers.

And if you do not need the new rams now, sooner or later you will need a new one anyway.
    but it would be cheaper to start with new couplers.

While your at it, has the fluid been changed lately

16. jersey250

jersey250 Member

the couplers are shot but they were just frozen. I disconnected the hoses and drained the fluid and they are good to go thanks for your help

17. equinn2005

equinn2005 Junior Member

www.angelos-supplies.com your source for all your snow plow needs