1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Angle that blade when traveling!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jim Karns, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Jim Karns

Jim Karns Member

I would like to pose a question to others: Is it just me or are there a ton of "ham and eggers" out there driving down the road with thier plow blades straight across - instead of angled? Apparently western Connecticut is the worlds supplier of inconsiderate (or ignorant - I can't tell) drivers who think the rest of the drivers (including other plow trucks) should yeild to them just because they're driving with thier plow....
    I drive a GMC 5500 with a 9.5' V plow and always travel with the plow in "V" mode. It seems the "low boy dumps" are always the culprits. 9' blades don't leave too much room for anyone else....especially on the back roads. :realmad:
    Sorry for the rant.
  2. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

i tend to leave the plow on my dump straight... cause when i angle it to the left i cant see the left marker due to the pillar blocking my vision. but if need be i angle to get by..... i also love how people always stop cause they think that there isnt enough room and i just keep comming lol.... its amazing how someone can drive the same car everyday and not know its limits.....
  3. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I always travel in V position.
    1. It lets more air to the radiator
    2. It cuts down wind resistence
    3. The truck travels w/o being pushed to one side or the other just from the wind
    4.If you hit drifted snow going down the road, it is more likely you'll push straight thru, rather than towards a ditch.

...sure the 1st 2 are arguable but the 2nd 2 are definites!!
  4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

With a V, it's the only way to go. Another reason, is that this is the lightest formation on the front of the truck. A V just has the ultimate transport configuration of any plow. One thing that IS necessary many times with he V, is that when the plow is all the way back, occasionally it does have to be pushed forward just a hair, to avoid the tips from bouncing and scraping the ground.
  5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

This thread alway gets heated LOL
  6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i think ur a moron if u have a V and dont break it. now if u got strait blade thats 7 or 8 ft dosent make the much of a diffrence and i travel with mine angled and it never pushs me around form side to side.
  7. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

if you got a straight blade, unless ur looking to cool down on the highway..(even thats arguable), or looking to get threw a tight spot, i drive it straight. when you angle it, ur killing 1 side of your truck much faster, ball joints/shocks get a kick in the ass think about it.
  8. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

have you ever driven on the highway with your plow on? you'll notice a difference in pull if you change it from one side to the other
  9. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Thats redneck power steering! :jester: :dizzy: I run with my blade strait, but I don't think my 6.5 will bother any one that much! :rolleyes:
  10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I tend to just leave mine the way it is after the last push at an account. If its angled its stays that way if its straight it stays that way. Usually less then a mile to next account, sometimes only 100 feet. If I was drving longer I might think about it more, but I just want to get to the next account.

Now the v Plow usually gets veed for driving from what i have seen my driver doing.
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'll let Crazy Mike handle this one. LOL :D
  12. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

yes i have and usally its kickd about halfway to the right so my lowside is to the curb and my truck dosent go anywhere.
  13. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I never leave the blade angled. I keep mine straight and just high enough off the ground so that the grill isnt really blocked. If i had a 9' or 10' blade then ya i would angle it.
  14. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

I drive with it straight across...i had a bad experience last year when driving angled....blade caught a snow drift and since it was angeled almost pulled me into the ditch and caused me to loose control...scary stuff at 2 am. Really woke me up
  15. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I always keep mine angled to the right, this way if I am on narrow roads, or if snow banks are high, it'll just glide along it.

I only have an 8' Fisher, but w/the Pro Wings on it, it's a little over 9 1/2' wide.
  16. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

that's exactly what I do. Don't ever have a problem w/ traffic, and we have some tight roads here.
  17. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, same here! If you drive with it straight, theres more wind resistance pushing up against the plow. I keep mine angled to the right all the time!
  18. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

lately i just leave the plow the way it was when i left the lot. ALso when you angle it blocks ur headlights thats not too safe.
  19. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

It may block the truck headlights, but that doesn't matter cause the plows headlight system is on.
  20. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

mine will actually block the plows headlights.