1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Angle Rams not keeping pressure

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dwest22, Dec 4, 2009.

1. dwest22

dwest22 Junior Member

alright first off sorry for not being very educated on the plow set up! I recently picked up an older chevy with plow just to do a few accounts around the neighborhood and my family. Spent most of my time fixing the truck up and charging system and now the plow is giving me problems. I have general mechanical skills but never messed with a plow system. It is a older meyer set up.... When i first hooked it up, checked fluid and was low so i made sure the ram was all the way down and filled with meyer fluid to the top. The problem is when i have the plow lifted the side rams do not keep pressure on plow so i can move it by hand left to right. I am not losing fluid anywhere. Could there be bypass in the seals in the rams but not leaks? Or is there something wrong in the valve body on the pump? maybe just air? any suggestions would be very very appreciated! thank you, Devin

2. dwest22

dwest22 Junior Member

Did some more googling on the plow set up i have and it appears to be a E-47

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Can you move it by hand fully in both directions, or just a few inches?

4. dwest22

dwest22 Junior Member

I can move it fully

5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I imagine you've checked this-but are you positive that the angling cylinders are connected to the pump body, and not to each other? If the lines are connected to each other that allows for manually angling. If it is hooked up correctly, it could be a blown oring or valve in the pump body. Air in the system won't allow you to move the plow fully left to right. Can you angle it with the controller?

6. dwest22

dwest22 Junior Member

yes it is hooked up to the pump right, and I beleive it is a valve not closing all they way after some more research. Because it does move side to side with the controller and has some force behind it but when you let of the controller its not closing the valve to trap the fluid in position. If i had a blow angle cylinder wouldn't it leak?

7. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

blown cylinder would definitely leak. I think a bad valve makes sense-or even an oring that holds the valve could be blown or not installed.

8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like you crossover relief valve is not holding. could also be a pilot check valve not holding. could be bad oring on the c valve.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed, agreed, and agreed. :nod:

Start with the C valve O-rings and pilot. They're the easiest to check.