1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

angle ram question.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by huss691981, Dec 15, 2008.

1. huss691981

huss691981 Member

If the angle rams on the plow are diffrent lengths, could that cause the plow to not angle. The left ram is longer than the right, the plow will not angle right but will angle left. Changed couplers.... twice.. still will nor angle right. Motor loads up and sounds like it is straning, hose has HUGE pressure on it but will not angle. Any ideas would be greatly appriceated. Thanks in advance, Mike:confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

That is definitely your problem, one cylinder is bottomed out hwile the other still has stroke left

3. huss691981

huss691981 Member

it's not bottomed out, the blade can be all the way to the left, the right, shorter ram is fully contracted, it won't go right at all fom this postion or any postion at any other degree of swing in between right and left.

4. huss691981

huss691981 Member

correction..... the right ram is 14", the left ram is 12". The blade will angle left, the longer ram pressurizing and extending, the left ran, the shorter one, compressing. The blade will not angle right, the shorter ram trying to compress the longer ram. The blade will not angle right no matter what degree of angle it is at. Even with the shorter ram all the way compressed, it will not angle to the right............ However the blade works fine as long as it is leaking from someware.

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

yeah....ok, why is it you have two different rams? :confused: Are we talking about the western or the Meyer?

Bluntly, If the fact you didn't have the right parts on that thing to begin with didn't give you a clue, maybe the fact of it NOT working should. Go get a new or used one.

we had a power wagon just like that when I was growing up. That thing could pull a tank. First truck I ever plowed in actually.

6. huss691981

huss691981 Member

1. It's a meyer we are talking about, Not on my power wagon and yes it can pull a tank, i love it. 2 we guessed that the rams biung diffrent is the problim, 3 I have no clue why they are diffrent, the plow and truck were just bought this last fall.

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Are you firmilar with CPW. There prices are pretty good, shipping sucks, but there fair about it.

8. Crash935

So, if you coulple the hose for the turn cylinders together you can swing it back and forth?

9. huss691981

huss691981 Member

yea when you couple both rams toghtr you can move the blads freely. If you loosen the longer rams swivel, the pump will angle it right, if there are no leaks in the system, it won't angle.

10. Crash935

Is there power to the C coil?

Does the C coil have magnetism?

O-rings on C valve OK?

11. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

switch the hoses around 180. does it angle the other way now? if so check the valve/coil as snowman indicated.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Ditto:waving:

13. huss691981

huss691981 Member

Got it figured out. A problim I have never had. The right angle ram is longer than the left. The restrction in the quick connect, what little there is, plus the gland nut being too tight, was enough to keep it from angling to the right. Replaced the quick connect with a double female coupler from the pluming section at the hardware store and backed the gland nut off a little and presto!!!!!!!!!!! Everything works like it should. BTW, the quick connect works fine on our other plow. Mike