1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

angle ram problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by crazyboy, Feb 11, 2013.

1. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

On my left angle RAM, the threaded "bushing" that the ram comes out of the middle of keeps coming loose. I know I'm not using the right terminology, but I'm hoping you understand. If not I can attach a pic. Anyway, does anyone know why it keeps coming loose?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The packing but u mean??
    Clean and inspect the threads. If all ok tighten down till its tight,,,then back off just a bit

3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

You sure its backing out and not popping out? I have a meyer plow that came with aluminum packing nuts, it popped its threads, but would let me screw it back in. Replaced with cast packing nuts and has remained right where its supposed to be ever since.

4. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Yes I guess that's the term, I've tightened it and it loosens after some use.

Hmm I Guess I will have to inspect that. It seems to just unscrew a bit because it does not appear all the threads are showing.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok. So did you clean the nut and inspect the treads??
    Guess that's what you gotta do next. How tight are you tightening the nut??

6. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Nothing jumped out at me on the threads, but I will reinspect them. I'm making it pretty tight, visually it looks like I thread it in as far as the one on the other angle ram which has no problems. Weird that it will snug up and then I hop out of the truck after plowing and theres 5 threads showing.

7. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

I have *never* heard of those just unscrewing. Not as you describe, and certainly not fast like that.

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

threads are bad its popping out time to replace
    It may look like its unscrewing
    Best thing to do get someone in the truck and cycle the plow many times and You stand out side and watch it

You can mark a line on it and should see the line stays in line when pops out