1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Angle Ram leaking

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Boomer123, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

I have a mid weight 7.6 poly. One of my angle rams is leaking. I see they sell a new packing nut and O ring for about $20 but how in the heck to you remove the nut.

I tried to use a pipe wrench but it didn't budge. I read on Westerns site that the nut is torqued to 200 foot pounds.

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Replace the ram. It's so much easier.

3. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

BIg fnking pipewrench and some heat

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Get the new ram. Take the old one to a hydro shop, let them rebuild it. Then put it on the shelf for a rainy day.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I like to crack those nuts while the ram is on the plow to hold it. As said above, "use a big friggin wrench" but don't use any heat!!! If you put a torch to it the ram will distort. If you have $$$ to burn replace the ram and pay a shop to replace the nut. Personally, I learned to fix my own stuff because I didn't have money to #iss into the wind. $20 for a new gland nut with seal and 1/2 hour's work VS $200 (or more) for a new ram???

If you do get the nut to crack be sure to take the gland nut off the back end of the ram, not the front. The front end, where the pin goes through the hole, will have burrs that will destroy the new seal. Crack the nut, pull the piston right out, remove the keeper from the base end and then you will see the clean, undamaged, tapered end where the old nut slides off and the new one slides on without buggering it. Then put a bit of grease on the keepers (to hold them in place) and slide the piston back into the cylinder. Tighten the new gland nut and replace the front pin and cotter, done :nod:

6. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

7. mishnick

$85 for Western angle rams???? Wow, here they are closer to $200!

8. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

I guess it looks like a whole lot easier to remove one bolt and a cotter pin and just replace the ram.
    $68 bucks for a new ram and maybe 15 minuets of time vs $20 for the seal kit and spending an hour dicking around with a pipe wrench or longer.

9. mishnick

I guess this is just another symptom of our throw away society, why repair anything when you can just replace it. Why not just buy a whole new plow every time you get a leak? I guess being a mechanic I prefer to fix my things when I can. But to each their own....

10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Got a xv angle ram sitting at the shop right now. Customer ordered a new one because this one is cracked by the rod end port. Better believe I am gonna try welding it and see if it will work. :mechanic:

11. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

unfortunately I don't have a heated garage or a tool set much better than MacGyver. So to me yeah I guess angle rams are disposable.

12. mishnick

Replacing the gland nut takes no more time or effort than replacing the whole ram. People often swap a whole ram and then bring the old one to me to repair. When I am done before their coffee is cool enough to drink they realize how easy it is. In fact if they ask me to replace the seal while the ram is on the truck I do it in the parking lot. 10 minutes work. When you do the seal you only need the big wrench and a pair of side cutters to pull the front pin. Swapping the ram requires removing both front and rear pins and wrenches to remove the hose and then more wrenches to swap the fitting. In either case you need to top up the fluid. When it's -20 and I have this problem (and no heated garage) I would rather do a gland nut. Faster, cheaper and easier. Perhaps I am just lazy. I like to work by the policy "work smart not hard."
    I guess I am lazy and cheap!
    Gland nut = 10 minutes work and $12 part.
    Ram = 15 minutes work and $85 or more. That math is pretty clear to me.
    I guess I am lazy and cheap!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  13. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Hey.... let's call a spade a spade, eh? You're tired and mindful of your pennies....:D

Best of both worlds....Buy a new Ram, and install it.

Keep the old ram, repair it, and stick it in the truck for the time when you need it next year...

14. dieselss

Also look at it like this. You say it's just the seals, but when you look at it and see you need a new ram.....Then what? They might not have it in stock...Then what?
    I'll say it again....order a ram, take old one to hydro shop for rebuilding, or order all the pieces yourself

15. mishnick

For an operator who lives in the boonies a spare ram is essential. There are many things other than the seal that can go wrong. Bent, split, pitted etc. but if it's just a gland nut seal change the seal and keep that ram for your spare. Enough said guys. Haven't we flogged this topic enough to answer the original question?

16. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

my plan is to replace the ram and wait till warmer weather to fix the old ram.

17. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I am with you here. Got any pics of the wrench you use. Not fond of pipe wrenches as the teeth mar up the surface. Where do you get your gland nut parts from. Thanks. And yes I fix, weld, make and or machine everything and anything I can. Yes I know this thread is kind of old.
    T.J.

18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

"Not fond of pipe wrenches as the teeth mar up the surface."

Is this a "show plow" or a tool.
    and what about the nicks on the cutting edge from plowing?

19. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

It's an OCD thing.:mechanic:

20. dieselss

I used a big fits all wrench we have. You could always measure the nut and get the size off that.