1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Angle ram issue

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by swa136, Aug 15, 2007.

1. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

I pulled my rams today to do some painting. The older ST-90 rams I could compress by hand, and squeeze the oil out. The newer ST-7.5 rams are frozen, and would only move when standing on end, and being struck with a sledge hammer. Anybody out there ever experience this? Is there a fix, or do I replace them? Thanks for any, and all input!:salute:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your cylinders don't leak then their's no need to replace them. It's normal that you can't compress them by hand. If you can compress them by hand, like you mentioned that you could on your old ST-90, then that's usually a sign that the packings are worn and need tightened or replaced.

3. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Should the ST-7.5 rams be so tight? When hit with a sledge they only compressed about a 1/2 inch. :redbounce

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's not uncommon for them to be virtually unmovable by any other means other than hydraulic pressure, but be sure and check them to make sure they're not bent while you have them off. BTW, you do have the hoses disconnected from the cylinders right? Just checking..

5. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Yep, hoses off. I just thought it odd that it was that hard to compress them. Thanks for the info B&B.