1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Angle problems

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mikespenny, Dec 28, 2010.

1. mikespenny

mikespenny Junior Member

I have a MM1 HD series plow with an angling problem, just started this last storm.
    What i know---
    Plow was bought in 96, after the big one, and was stored inside up until this past year.
    Original fluid( I will be changing it this week)
    Original owner of plow was a bit of a bull
    What it does-
    Occasionally, after pushing a pile a distance, or driving around, the plow will get stuck in the left or right position, when i try and go left, it lifts, when i go right, just a bit of jerking.
    I know that this issue is usually the s2 solenoid, but if gently push the blade against a pile or a curb, it will work again, sometimes for a while, sometimes only for 20 mins. Also, once the daylight broke, there were no more problems with the angle.
    It happened the worst when the wind was kicking, and the temperature was in the 20's.
    I'm thinking a fluid flush will fix it, possible moisture in the system freezing up, but i was looking for any second opinions.
    Thanks in advance.
    Eric

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes there could be moisture in the system freezing the valve up.I would say start by changing the fluid and see what happens.One of your solenoids could infact be bad as well.I would try the fluid first.

3. mikespenny

mikespenny Junior Member

Changed the fluid in the pump, did not do a full system flush, seemed like the plow was a-okay, moving left and right, up and down no problem.
    Unfortunately, after sitting for a few hours in a heated shop, the plow would not go left to right, only up when triggered left.
    Pretty positive the s2 solenoid is acting up, I'll ohm out the solenoid tomorrow, any chance that the problem could be internal.
    Also, when i was draining the fluid, i pulled the drain plug out and the fluid came out under slight pressure, spraying me a bit, is there anything i can do with the vent, could that be a problem as well?
    Thanks again,
    Eric.

4. jaybird

jaybird Member

if the plow is a 2 plug plow? your problem could be an electrical 1. the problem could be with the 9 pin harness. those plows are very common for the ends to get screwed up. the way you test it is, have somebody hit the controller while you work the plugs around, while they are plugged intogether. if your plow starts acting up, jackpot. it happend tp me when i hit left it would only go up. very common they sell repair ends #22336k truckside #22335k plow side. i sell alot of repair ends every winter. if the truck has those plates holding the plugs to the grill, get rid of them. they cause more damage than anything

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

:confused: .....where do you get that? What damage exactly?

6. jaybird

jaybird Member

as you go down the road the harness attached to the plate is stationary. the other one bounces around causing the pins and wires to break. thats why on the 3 plug they did away with the plates

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

hmmmm, Interesting. Never really thought about it like that before. I would still think that there would be more then enough support from the lip of the connectors...especially with the newer ones as they're much more stiff. Then again I've replaced several that were "well used" and plyable to say the least.

The other thing is the torquing some guys put there connectors thru when disconnecting...it's amazing how hard they come apart when not kept cleaned and lubed with dielectric grease. I watched a guy struggle with his the other day...when I saw him walk out the door with a mini torch in hand, I knew I had to go school the old guy.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  8. mikespenny

mikespenny Junior Member

I actually just figured this out this morning, went to put my multimeter on the solenoid I was getting no voltage, wiggled the plug, and it came to life. Looked closely and there was some nasty corrosion packed into the plug, i cleaned it the best i could, and regreased it, don't have $100+ to replace both sides of that plug.
    Thanks for the input, it was much appriciated.

9. mikespenny

mikespenny Junior Member

Is there any alternative to the fisher plugs, over a hundred for the pair just seems a bit extreme to me.