1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

angle piston hydraulic fitting broke

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by tjctransport, Jan 4, 2014.

1. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

not sure how it happened, but the rear angle piston bolt broke/fell out and sheared off the hydraulic hose fitting in the piston.
    anyone have any luck getting the stub out of the piston and what did you use, or am i going to have to change the piston?

this is a new piston put on last year and only used once, for 14 hours this past storm

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Did it actually fall into the piston or sheared off and is still threaded in?

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

sheared off flush and still threaded in.

the last time i had something like this i tried an easy out, but it would not work on the pipe thread stub in an air compressor tank. .

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

The right sized chisel... hammer it in gently and turn counter clock with some vise grips. Have the hole side ways and down to minimize debris into the cylinder.

5. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I've fever had luck with easy outs, I've been using torx sockets for years. Find one that won't quite fit in the hole and drive it in. A little heat on the cylinder or some of that freeze spray on the fitting might help, especially if it's pipe thread.

6. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

I fixed one today. It was partially broken off and when i tried to put a wrench it just twisted right off. I used some bp blaster and an easy out and a small adjustable wrench with slow steady pressure on it. It took a few attempts, I put a little heat to it as well but just mainly heated the easy out. it came right out. I just compressed the cylinder to make sure there weren't any metal shaving left in the cylinder. 15 minute job.