1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Angle or Straight

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by ameyerman, Jan 24, 2007.

1. ameyerman

ameyerman Senior Member

When you are goning form one job to an other, do you guys angle the blade or keep it straight? i work for a plow company, and the boss man tells us to keep it straight. what do you guys do. thanks also is this bad?

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

It depends on how big of a plow you have. If I was running anything bigger than an 8 footer i would angel it. When I ran my 7'6'' straight blade I would angel it to the left that way when I was traveling from job to job I wouldn't get all that spay on my windshield. And also you wouldn't catch the right side of the wear bar on a curb when making a cornor. ( that is if you were to angel the plow to the right) When you are running a vee blade you don't have that problem because both the wings are back against the truck. Thats just my 2 cents about this.

Ryan

3. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Plow angle

Any time I run mine I angle it to the right, if I don't my truck starts to overheat a little.
    I was always told by the old timers to keep it close to the ground. That way if you hit a bump or a frost heave the plow hits the road. And the front-end doesn't take the shock of bottoming out. Hippy

4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

The bump reasoning is a new one to me. Makes sense. I normally keep mine low and to the right, mostly because I can judge where the plow is at by looking at how much is above the hood on the left side.

I have bumped the plow frame a few times when I had the plow high in anticipation of such. I am going to rethink that with the above mentioned old timers thoughts. Not that smacking either is good, but rather the plow then the frame.

5. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Just wondering what his reason is to run it straight? I usually angle to the right. There are alot of narrow roads in my neighborhood and it kind of bounces off the banks on the side of the road.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Straight.
    Allows the angle rams act as attenuators in the event of impact.

7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

My thinking is safety. I would want the driver to see the blade better. I would do the same if I had a lot of unknown (or not well known) people driving my rigs. Sort of like you can see exactly how wide you are pretty easy, versus angled there is a little guessing or maybe forgetting. For an 8' sure, 8.5' I could still see this being ok, but for a 9' no way.

No matter what there is always pros and cons to each and to each their own.

8. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Are you talking as in a crude crumple type zone? I mean unless a hose blows or a solenoid goes during the impact, I cannot see how they would move at all. Or am I missing something?

9. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I don't see why it would matter. If you hit another vehicle it would straighten out anyways. And regardless of where it is situated, you are going to open the other vehicle up like a can opener.

10. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Interseting that almost everyone has their own opinion for which is best and a different reason why. But I guess thats why we are here right.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

on hard impacts off of center the crossover relief will open allowing the blade to pivot. crossover reliefs are normally adjusted in the range of 3500 psi. this acts as a cushion absorbing some of the force of the impact

12. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I see. To be honest I think 98% of the accidents that could happen are not going to trip that relief.

I have the relief set at 3800psi on my JD 410 and I am pretty sure I can ram a car every way possible at any speed before that pressure relief will let go.

Then again someone will post a picture here of an accident or mention one where the pressure relief did give way, and I will look like an idiot.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I don't have any real world experience as to what it would require to kick the crossover relief in an accident.

Theoretically, it should work and I figure I take any help I can get. If I'm in a falling elevator, i'm going to try to leap in the air as it hits the ground:jester:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  14. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

i run my 9 ft straight blade straight when going down the road. I don't have any over heating problems on my diesel. I do it because i don't like how low the one corner is when i angle it.

15. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

I used to run my 8 foot blade straight and low but one time I came out of a lot I had just finished and hadnt gotten the chance to straighten my blade from angled right to straight and all of a sudden there were three deer in front of me. I missed the first two but the last one dissapeared. I quickly assumed that it was stuck under the plow. Until I look in the ditch to my right. Lo and behold it was doing a barrel roll down the ditch. From now on I always angle it to the right and low to act as a deer/animal catcher. Saves the truck from any damage. The only down side is you chance catching a curb when turning right but if you pay attention you will be all right.

16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I started plowing about seven years ago, using a 1/2 ton Dodge and 7.5' plow. If I kept it straight, it would overhear over 45 mph. So, I always kept it angled. Then I got a one ton and a 9' plow. It didn't overheat with the plow straight, but still continued to angle it while going down the road, mainly to take up less of the road. Now, I got a 3/4 ton and 8'. It kind of surprised me, but the manual said to carry it straight while transporting. The one time I tried angling it, the truck overheated.

17. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I've run a 7.5 and now 8 and never had it over heat straight or angled. But I run mine angled to the right so I can judge the blade. To each their own.

18. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

If I go anywhere with the plow on I angle it to the left. 8' is way too wide on narrow roads for my comfort or in an underpass and my mind is telling me that if I or the guy in the other car crosses the double yellow line the plow stands a good chance of at least partially deflecting the impact and pushing the two vehicles apart.

19. ameyerman

ameyerman Senior Member

because sometimes the truck likes to over heat, so if the plow is straight, all the air dosn't rush all to one side. it kinda moves all around. thinking maybe some may it the grill to get some air in. i guess

20. ameyerman

ameyerman Senior Member

i all ways keep it low too. the truck that use to over heat we don't have any more. it was a 89 GMC Jimmy with a 8' meyer. and when it would get above 45 mph it would over heat. i had the chance to drive it one time and had it angled one time and never over-heated. i don't know. :confused: