1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

angle issues with old Fisher speed cast

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by splithair, Mar 22, 2014.

1. splithair

splithair Junior Member

I have an old Fisher Speed Cast, belt driven, hydraulic plow on my old yard truck that I am having trouble with. The plow raises but cannot be angled with the controls and I can angle the plow by pushing it by hand. It doesn't hold an angle of course. It stopped functioning when I was pushing some very heavy snow piled up high at the end of my neighbors driveway (this seems to be what happens when I am a good Samaritan). I hit the bank pretty hard to get it moving and pushed up over the bank. I also had just replaced a hose that had gone south on me and I had a bit of a leak at another coupling (since repaired). Could this combination of things gotten the angle hydraulic system air-locked? and if so how do I bleed this thing. I am stumped.

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

It should bleed through use. You may have damaged the relief valve for the angle function.

3. splithair

splithair Junior Member

Do you know where the relief valve lives? My first guess is that it is in the control valve but I just don't have any experience working with hydraulics. I might be able to figure it out if I could find an exploded diagram of the control valve but they seem pretty scarce on the internet, I can't find any. Does anyone have any ideas where to find one? Thanks in advance.

4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

5. splithair

splithair Junior Member

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately the guide for the under hood hydraulic system offers little guidance. There is a troubleshooting guide but no exploded diagram. The guidance from the troubleshooting guide has three suggested issues. Out of adjustment control cable, un-centered control lever and bad o-rings on the crossover cartridge. The control cables seem fine and the control lever is centered properly. I think I understand what part is considered the crossover cartridge (the cartridge that can be pulled out of the uppermost portion of the valve control) and the o-rings are not flat, cracked or damaged in any way that I can see. I will replace the o-rings today anyway but I am not hopeful it will change much since they look fine. Anybody out there have any other insights?