1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Angle issues and leak (related?)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by chillman88, Jan 18, 2012.

1. chillman88

chillman88 Junior Member

Ok guys,

Last winter my cable conventional plow was working fine, I moved it to a different truck and now I'm having angle issues. Haven't had time to look it over close, but got any ideas?

It will move to the right nice and quick, won't go to the left (yes, the motor is running)

It appears to be leaking fluid from behind the 4 way valve, Any input on this? Looks like the manual says its 2 o-rings and a gasket, could I use gasket paper and make a gasket?

Do these cushion valves hold up good? or might they be the culprit and need replacing.
    How likely is it to be the quick connector? I replaced it last year, and its not rusty.

Hopefully Saturday i can take a look at it and check cable adjustment while i'm at it.

thanks,
    --Chris

2. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

just had the same problem except the leaking fluid. and my cable was out of adjustment. they have to be almost perfect in order for the angle to angle left and right

3. chillman88

chillman88 Junior Member

yea, it's the leaking fluid that got me. I'll give her a look and see what i can find. If it wasn't leaking, I'd have just tried to adjust the cable.

It's a shame that winter has to be so cold, i could get so much more done if we got snow with 75 degree weather!!

4. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

ya that would be nice! but nothing can ever be nice in this line of work. and you can try and make a new gasket with the right material. have you checked your o-rings to make sure they are not damaged or not seated properly?

5. chillman88

chillman88 Junior Member

Hoping to do that Saturday. Here is my plan of approach...

Drain Fluid
    Remove 4-way valve
    go inside where it's warm.
    remove check valves
    get new o-rings for everything
    replace gasket
    reinstall and adjust cable

Sound right?

Also, Has anyone had the A-frame to Quadrant pivot bolt hole (in the quadrant) wear out? I'm fixing that now too, it's supposed to be a hole, but its a u shaped groove (like the bolt wore out to the back, someone had welded washers in to fix it once, it broke again). I found a new blade, rams, and quadrant cheap on craigslist ($80), just wondering if this is common at all?

6. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

i really like the "go inside where its warm" part. and yes that sounds pretty good. and you may not even have to replace the o rings but who knows. you would be very suprised how fine of a line there is trying to adjust that cable to get it right

7. chillman88

chillman88 Junior Member

OK...
    This whole deal started when I moved the plow to a different truck...

The pivot bolt hole in the quadrant had broken free (some genius put a 1/2" bolt in a 3/4" hole).

Replaced the quadrant, put new o-rings behind the 4-way valve, drained the water from the valve cavity where the cable goes ( lucky it wasn't ice )

adjusted the cable & the lift valve (plow was lifting while angling).

IT WORKS!

Long story short... Just 'cuz it worked before you moved it, even though you didn't disconnect anything... doesn't mean it will still work when you move it!!

P.S. Is there a secret to getting the cushion valves out when they are siezed up? or do I have to drill them out? Also, What are those plugs for in the end, they have a square head? I'd like to rebuild this thing next spring.

Thanks!

8. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

no not any secret im aware of...pb blaster maybe? and if you can do it in a warm place. and take your flathead screw driver and LIGHTLEY tap on it. this may break up some of your rust. and are you talking about the square heads on the side of the 4 way?

9. chillman88

chillman88 Junior Member

the square heads are what I was wondering what they are, because the flathead screws are the cushion valves, right?

10. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

yes your cusion valves are on the top and bottom of your 4-way. and as for the "square heads" i have honestly wondered the same thing. i have never messed with them and dont plan on it till i do.