1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Angle cylinders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jonw440, Oct 13, 2003.

1. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

I looked at my plow today and decided to change the fluid in the angle cylinders and change the bolts and put some "anti-sieze" on the pivot points. I removed the hose fittings and loosened the bolt closest to the fitting. Then I lowered the cylinder down and drained some of the fluid out. I then tried to collapse the cylinder to get all the old fluid out. I can NOT budge the cylinder!! I mean it seems frozen solid. Should I be able to move them by hand? This is on a Meyer ST-90.

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have a meyers and their the same way
    since i have a repair shop i pressed them with the weight of the lift

cardoctor

3. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

I assume you removed the hose or quick disconnet before trying to extend / retract the cylinder. I've never owned a new set of angle cylinders but ,ime have always been all but impossible to move by hand. I've never had an issue with the operation of these. The only way I have seen them move by is to have the cylinders on the plow and attach the hose from one cylinder to the other. Push on the end of the plow to get it to pivot.

If you have yet to operate the plow see if it will work under system pressure. It may be a bit seized from sitting for 6 months.

4. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

Ok I guess they are just hard if not impossable to move by hand. (unlike a shock absorber on a car).
    Yes I did have the quick disconnect off the cylinder. They worked fine last winter and they look alright now.
    I guess I will just add the new fluid then put the hoses back on.

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

put cylinders back on plow
    leave hoses off

flip plow flat
    grab a frame move it back and forth
    might be little messy but it should purge the cylinders

cardoctor

6. Santo

Santo Banned

Are the cylinders kissing each other(connected)?

7. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

hmm

cant you just short chain the plow and use the moldboard as a lever to purge the cylinders, its how I do my Fisher .
    Bill

8. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

If they are that stiff my bet is that there was/is some water in there and it rusted over the course of the summer. the rust is probably keeping the tolerances pretty tight, I would take them apart and reseal them.

9. Santo

Santo Banned

You also can take both off , empty them by hand. Fill one back up full of fluid while fully extended, replace the full one fully open and extended with the other installed compressed (in) or (closed)and empty. Obviously in the angled position with the blade hanging like Bwhite said.

10. flatbed

flatbed Member

i just bought a used meyers and it wouldn't angle left or right.. loosened up the fitting,s to bleed the air.... still wouldn't move.... so i used a tree in my yard to make it move...... it worked but probably not the best way to fix it.......true shade tree mechanic