1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Angle Cylinders leaking

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Captain, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I have a brand new Homesteader. Just noticed a few drops of blue fluid in the snow today.

It appears the angle cylinders are leaking a bit, right where the piston comes out. Is this normal or are the seals gone already??? I plan to call the dealer tomorrow, but I don't want to make a mountain out of a moe hill.

Is this something I should worry about??? Are the seals and easy change??? One side leaks worse than the other, but both are not too bad.

Any thoughts or opinions???

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I believe the homesteader also has "adjustable" rams on it- you can turn the "tightness" of the packing in the ram tighter to keep it from leaking- take a look at your owners manual. Otherwise- I'd take it to the dealer to have new seals put in.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

rams

if they have adjustable packing nut's on the cylinder's ,on a new plow it can be normal for them to seep a little bit .because the packing's because they relax when they Finlay get soaked with oil .and some time's you can snug them up a couple time's . :salute:

4. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Update - I called the dealer this morning. They want me to bring it in so they can look at it. They said they have never had a Homesteader leak on the angle cylinders before.

They said not to tighten anything, they will take care of it.

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Exactly....

Chance are someone bleed the system that way an didn't tighten everything back up enough.

6. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Take it back to the dealer. My MMII had the same problem, turns out the packing was bad on one cylinder. I'm all for tinkering, but not on a brand new piece of equipment.