1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Angle cylinder on MVP leaking what to do?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by drivefaster35, Dec 6, 2010.

1. drivefaster35

drivefaster35 Member
    from iowa

Ok I have a earlier model MVP plow from around 04-05 with the little rubber peice in the middle. I beliueve its called the angle (lift) cylinder that raises and loweres the plow is leaking on the top part around where the cylender goes in and out. I don't have a lot of experience with these plows but didn't know if it could be just a seal that I could replace or if I need to just replace the whole thing or what? Also any suggestions on a provider of parts at a reasonable rate my local dealer cost a fortune and charges $80 and hour.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, it is the lift cylinder. There is a large hex nut on the top of the cylinder called a packing nut. You may only need to tighten that down a bit. The other options are to rebuild the cylinder if the piston is not damaged/rusted/nicked, or replace the lift cylinder.

Replacing the cylinder is by far the easiest repair. One hose fitting, two cotter pins.

3. drivefaster35

drivefaster35 Member
    from iowa

Thanks a ton I'll try tightening the packing nut and go from there.