1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

angle cylinder fittings

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by chevyzrule810, Apr 7, 2012.

1. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a mm1 I'm in the process of restoring.The old angle cylinders were pitted and leaking so I bought new ones.The guy I got the plow from put two new hoses on it last season.I'm going to use the hoses with the new cylinders.The new cylinders have threaded set screws in them now.In order for me to install the hoses I'm going to need to buy to 90 degree elbows to make them work.Should the new cylinders have come with the fittings? Can I use the fittings from the hardware store?

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

no they do not come with them i would not use ones from the hardware store are u going from jic to pipe thread? n]if so they make a adapter nipple with the o ring

3. chevyzrule810

I'm going with a cylinder from the dealer and the old cylinders were leaking and had new hoses on them.So I want to use the hoses and the new cylinders but the new cylinders have set screws in them where the fitting would go.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Cylinders never come with fittings. Find your local hydro shop and get the correct 90 degree fittings

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

the new cylinders probably have o-ring ports. do the hoses you are wanting to reuse have male pipe ends? if so get #6 oring boss to 1/4" female pipe 90 degree elbows. If the hoses have female ends, they will be JIC, so get #6MB to #6MJ 90's.

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You can get new cylinders from Fisher with either NPF or o-ring... if you told them you had a MM1 they should have given you NPF by default since all MM1 were NPF..

There is a machined circle around the threaded port on the cylinder for the o-ring version, none for the NPF... get the correct angle fitting from a hydraulics supply or plow supply. Plumbing parts at the hardware store are not spec'd to handle 1500-2000 psi.

7. chevyzrule810

yeah I didn't think it would be a good idea to use ones from the hardware store.I do remember going to a hydro shop in the next town over a few years ago to get some new hydraulic lines bent up.I never thought of them.I'll bring the cylinders and the hoses over and get the right elbows tomorrow.Thanks for all the help!