1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Angle and lifts at same time

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by hanuman21, Dec 2, 2009.

1. hanuman21

hanuman21 Junior Member

I have a straight blade plow that is a 1990 or 91. Power unit is under the hood.
    Had a problem that it would't lift and all of my truck lights would dim and my truck would stall.
    I replaced the alternator. Replaced the power unit motor. Checked all of the solonoids and valves. They magnetize and the valves actuate. I changed all of the fluid. Changed a valve that had a screen on it because the screen had broken in places. I cleaned the reserves and put new fluid in. There was a lot of white junk that flushed out. Took apart the pump and cleaned some gunk out of it. Put it all back together and it lifted smooth and fast and angled right but was slow going left. Now it angles right before it lifts and is very slow angling left.
    I would appreciate any info you guys could give me. Thanks.
  2. zman300

zman300 Member

I had a similar problem with my Western about the same vintage.
    I took the pump apart and found the face that the gears ride on was a little worn.
    That was causing the pump to lose pressure.
    Put it on a surface grinder and cleaned the face up and it worked as good or better than new.
    Never had a Boss pump apart so don't know if it's the same design.