1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Angies list

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by tuney443, Mar 1, 2012.

1. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Anybody ever try advertising on Angies List and if so how did it go?
  2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Haven't you heard the commercials "contractors can't pay to be on Angies list"
  3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Sure have but actually you can as long as you either have an A or B rating.Very difficult site to navigate.
  4. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Its funny, they say you can not pay to advertise. But I got a call last week from them for advertising. The salesman is trying to come out to my office to meet me about it. He even sent me a price list about the advertising. Kind of ironic
  5. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Their ads on the radio and tv sound like your going to get a highly recommended contractor, what they don't tell you is the names of contractors they give you paid to be at the top of the referral list. I was surprised to find this out when i fell for the lets meet up and see what we can do to help your business.

Their stock has been dropping because people don't want to pay to subscribe anymore.
  7. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

My company is on AL, but I never wanted it there. I was shoved on there by an overzealous former customer who loved my work. I get calls all the time to do work I don't want to do, so I haven't sold one job because of them..... although I've referred a few contractors otherwise.

As a contractor on AL, I was basically forced to fill out my profile in order to make it accurate. They had all kinds of false information about me and my work I do, so I had no choice. I get at least 6-7 calls a year asking me to "pay up" to get my name in the "top rankings" when people do searches for contractors". I stored their number in my phone and labeled it "don't answer".

The real issue with AL is you have NO RECOURSE if there is a negative review against you. You're stuck with whatever BS someone wants to publish about you, so I just ignore the fact that I'm listed there.
  8. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Bringing up an old, dead thread...

I've been getting a lot of calls from people who subscribe to AL. Anyone else ?

I've had so many reviews over the last couple of years that I've juse recently put a special page on my website just for AL reviews. Crazy, I know, but I guess it's good in the sense that I have a bunch of AL-coholics that recommend me...:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Oh well, we'll see how it goes.... or not.
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Beating a different drum now,aren't you?:D
  10. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Well, uh.... mmmmmm.... well..... uh.....

You had to point that out, now didn't you... Bastage :nono:

Problem is that I either have to "copy and paste" those reviews of me to my website, or call and ask those people for "written referrals" to post on my website.

I hate the idea that I'm going along with it.... but if I want to post the referrals, I guess I don't have much choice, now do I ??
  11. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

we have at current about 150 reviews on AL. I took a screenshot of the 20 best, cropped the screenshot, blocked out the client info, and had my web guy post them on our site. Might be better for seo purposes to actually post the text too like you are.
  12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So what the details on it? price?
  13. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I did what you did. Screen shot each review,blocked out. Customer info and price, then created a page for just the reviews.

Al doesnt cost me anything.other than my self esteem.:eek:

No charge to businesses other than if u want the to push their adverts where they contact local members on your behalf.

Im not promoting AL. I wish i was never put on it |horror stories those bashedby ALsubscribrrs. Im just making the best of it while i can