1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Angeling under pressure

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Kuzanut, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

A few weeks ago i asked you guys for help with a twitchy plow. turns out the controler was bad ($268.00).. highway robbers.. anyway now if i have the blade straight and go to put back a pile the plow with angle itself. without the plow motor turning on. any ideas?

2. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Clean you cross over relief valves.
    Chad

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The cross over reliefs could just be doing their job. If you are trying to move large heavy or frozen piles the crossover should allow the plow to angle back against the stops to protect the hydraulics.

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

The cross over is doing it job...Especially when your trying to push a pile of snow that might be too heavy.. Just think of the valve protecting the rams or not allowing the seals to blow. It relieves the pressure from the rams and allow it to flow back to the tank..

5. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

ok, i understand the purpose of the valves. just seems like its allowing it to move with less and less pressure. where is the valve located? near the selinoids?

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

7. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

Basher, do you have a link to one for a western?

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sorry go to my website lower right hand corner is a guide to all the manufacturer's tech libraries.

9. twinman326

Then I would pull the valves and check them..You might have a bad spring, or something in the passage way.

I don't know what plow you have..This is for a unimount

myset.jpg

mycr.jpg

myleft.jpg

myright.jpg

Go to western site and do a search..This is the mechanics guide

Here is the link to western.. Here is the number to put into the "quick search" 21936

http://library.westernplows.com/quicksearch.asp#searchStart

myset.jpg

mycr.jpg

myleft.jpg

myright.jpg

10. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

Twinman, thank you for the info i will take a look at it tomorrow in the daylight.

11. twinman326

they say it's going to be cold outside tomorrow..dress warm

12. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You know there is a pressure setting for the crossover valves. If they are set too low or the spring is weak or broken the blade will move too easy. Check the crossover valve condition and then set it. Usually the manual tells you how many turns from bottom to back off.

13. Racer593

Racer593 Member

Whats the trick to getting the screws loose without ruining them?

14. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Which screws? If you are trying to break the slotted screw for the relief valve adjustment their may be locktight on it. You may need to use an inpact screwdriver. That is a thing that you put in the slot and then wack it with a hammer. The screws for the valve cover should be just regular 1/4" hex or possibly they have the torx internal star. If you use the 1/4" socket you need a very thin sided one. I use Snap-on 1/4" drive sockets for that as there is not much room. If you mean some other screw you will have to be more specific.

15. twinman326

Tell you the truth, mine was also hard getting out..The screws wouldn't turn..I spray a little rust remover around the screws..Waited about 15min. Then I tap the screws square just enough to give it a jolt. Then use a screw driver that fit the slot and turn it back and forth. Then the screw came loose enough to were I could turn them both out.. If not just use a little heat to warm up the metal, the let it cool down..DO NOT get it hot..Just warm..4seconds is enough

myinsp.jpg

myinsp.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  16. Racer593

Racer593 Member