1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

and yet...MORE help needed Mayday!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mylittlescoop, Dec 20, 2004.

1. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

I have a ford f150 xlt 4x4 with a western snow plow and am buying a pro flow western tailgate spreader
    Will I be ok in your opinion or us that to much cushion for the pushin?
    (knew you guys would like that analagy)
    Please give me advice! I was told it would be good for my truck but then some say otherwise..I knew just who to turn to!
  2. DJL

DJL Senior Member

what, exactly, is the question?

ok with what?

1. Weight?
    2. Cost?
    3. Size?
    4. Etc.?
  3. mylittlescoop

from nj

CLARITY on my question

Ok My question
    I have a Ford f-150 4x4 with a Meyers Unimount plow

I am in the process of purcahsing a Pro fLOW Meyers salt sprearder that weighs 150 lbs holds 950 lbs of salt for the back of the truck.
    My question is am I putting to much on the truck?
  4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Now, Is it A Meyer Or Western????? :rolleyes:

How much salt do you spread during a storm? I only put the amount of salt needed to treat the jog I am presently on. I never want to leave excess salt in spreader, as moisture causes it to clump up.....
  5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I dont know it might be too much, but you prob dont have to fully load the spreader so you could keep the wieght down...Rob
  6. mylittlescoop

from nj

western plow

Duhhhhhhhh It is a Western Plow not MEYERS HAD meyers on the brain for some reason.....
    I am going to be Very careful about the salt I use! I am going to estimate per job and use accordingly I just thought it would come in handy as I build my plow buisness. I thought go big and use little rather than go small. I know I may grow and I want something that will grow with me instead of rebuying a bigger unit.
    I have a lot of potential commerrcial accounts and I just did not want something I have to keep refilling. If it does not work out It is great for resale so I figured it was a no brainer until I started getting conflicting feedback about the weight on the truck
  7. DJL

DJL Senior Member

What is the total weight of the plow and sander (w/o material)? Then look up what your truck is rated for. I would think you are going to be over, if not very close once you factor in everything (yourself, a passenger, toolboxes, or whatever else you might be carrying).
  8. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Sorry if I seem offensive, but if you wanted to "go big" why start off with a 1/2 ton pickup?