1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

And why would I keep plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Oct 16, 2012.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you fail to provide the first required service of the snow season, USM will not issue any payment to you
    on any open or future invoice.
     For example, if the first snow event of the season occurs on January 20, 2013 and you fail to
    perform that service, USM will not issue any payment on your invoice for January service and/or
    any invoices for the months of February, March, April, and May.
  2. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

And if you accept those terms you can be called? Out of business.
  3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

You work for some tuffies....... I bet they don't let their employees drink the coffee either.....

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

No coffee??.... :gunsfiring:
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

And why would you fail to live up to your job of providing plowing service?
  6. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

I don't get it... is a a cute way of saying if you don't perform the first snowfall you will be fired and won't collect Jan, Feb,or March payments?
  7. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Don't forget your pre-season inspection or to have "USM and it's customers" listed as holder or to call the IVR system before, after, and during every event or have your invoice dated after the 1st or take all required photos and submit them with every invoice or ??? OR ??? OR!!! The HELL with all of that!! Thats what I said!! Never have to worry about IVR's ever again! Thumbs Up
  8. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

Love it. so if they owe you on invoices from summer you still aren't getting paid. I wonder how many guys have called that bluff in court. I don't see that holding up at all.
  9. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I put a bid in on one of their properties this year. Tomorrow they are to announce "notice to award". I bid it a few thousand higher than their "proposed" amount. Part of me wants it, most of me doesn't!

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

We moved on from USM years ago .We do not wish to work for them. Best thing we ever did . Much better to work for the locals
  11. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Make sure you have all your salt paid for and you own your own equipment. First check should be in your mail box end of January beginning of February. Thats providing all your paper work is in order.

GOOD LUCK!! Thumbs Up
  12. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

I've often wonder why those that won't bid on work for USM or any national because of being screwed wouldn't just put in a lowball bid that they win and drag out sending in the paperwork. When they call you to get the contract signed and returned say you have mailed it, my fax machine is broken, what's the address again, sorry let me send it again, anything to buy more time until they are left holding the bag. In other words do what they do to us. If a few hundred of us snow providers did this to them it would be great and cause great pain to these nationals. Think how fun the revenge would be.

It would cause all the nationals to start earlier in the season and respect those that they can count on.
  13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Hmm....why did said plowing company fail to provide the service in the first place? I guess if you miss it the first time, don't bother coming back.
  14. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Don't miss the first service and I guess you don't have to worry about it.
  15. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

ferandino has the exact same language in their contract
  16. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

What if you don't have conformation of the contract? or they "lose" the paper work? The wording of this is such that they are looking to screw you over, they could cover their butts by saying something like "if a service is missed USM reserves the right to immediately dismiss the contractor..." but they don't say that do they, anyone want to take a guess as to why???? because they are hoping you work your butt off and plow for two more month then they can not pay you based on this clause.....
  17. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

One of my issues is with the whole picture\calling in\etc BS. Call me old fashioned, but for a lot longer than these jackwagons have been around, my company has been providing plowing services without pictures and phone calls and faxes and invoices within 30 seconds...............Seems to me, the amount of time I have been in business should stand for a lot more than a phone call, etc.

You gotta be nuts to jump through all the hoops these morons require.
  18. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Don't work for them then.

Suppose maybe the customer requires this data? The customer that has to look at 300 sites at a time?

It's not the reputable contractor that has always provided great service, with or without pictures in the past that has caused this. It is the children that think they can plow and have no idea how to run a business that have caused such a need. Just about every National requires this or has brought it on of late, in my experience.
  19. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Thats just not true. I went above and beyond fulfilling every aspect of my snow contract with this big national. There was a slip and fall at the big box I was servicing. It happened on the sidewalk, just outside the door. My contract stated that store personell would be responsible for sidewalks during business hours. It didn't matter. The store denied liability, the national denied liability, and my insurance company denied liability. The national with held over 20,000 they owed me, and denied giving me any future contracts until it was settled. To sum it up, you cannot say it is always incompetent people performing substandard work. Thats just not the case.
  20. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

did you get it figured out yet northernsweeper?