1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

And The Question is? Auto or Manual Transmission!

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by 200sh, Nov 17, 2011.

1. 200sh

200sh Junior Member

What is your preference as to which is the best transmission for pushing snow? I know it can be done with both, but if you had your choice???? Pros and cons of both for a Wrangler. Thanks.
    (tried the search function and ....well, you know a problem for a newbie)

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have had both I much prefer the manual.

with the auto if you are stopped in snow IE going up to the garage to backdrag.. and you need to get closer to the door you step on the gas.. the engine speeds up but the trany slips. so you dont go any where, so you step on it a litle more, the engine goes a little faster but you still dont move. step a little harder.... then WAM the snow resistantce is over come the Jeeps leeps foreword.

I mount my plow controls on the gear shift, I can control the plow and shift at the same time.

3. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

AUTO all the way, done both, auto makes it less work, more fun

4. theplowmeister

from MA

The question is
    What do you normally drive?

If you normally drive an auto you better get a Jeep with an auto
    If you normally drive a standard get a standard

5. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Year spent years in both. I like the 5spds (all have been YJ's) because of the solid link from motor to wheels...no slipage as plowmeister discussed. Also I do some fairly steep drives so low gear throttle control is key. I also have my joysticks on the gearshifts (somewhere it's posted here) Biggest drawback is your left leg after 8 hrs of plowing...
    I have to say it is nice to kick one of my guys out of an auto TJ near the end of a long session kick the seat back and just wheel.

6. 200sh

200sh Junior Member

Thanks guys. I've driven both . Just wondering what your thoughts were. I currently have an 02 v6 hardtop with manual, only 25,000 miles on it since my wife uses it lightly.I had been thinking about an auto for her. I have not put a blade on my manual yet and was interested in those with more experience than I to comment before I looked for a blade. Our winters are normally light (Mid Missouri) compared to those up north and east. I would just be doing driveways and the idea of back dragging is appreciated with the manual. We are in a hilly area and can't decide if I should use a UTV or a Jeep for the amount of blading I would be doing.

7. theplowmeister

from MA

Jeep Wrangler did not have a V6 in 02. the V6 was not until 07 in the wrangler.

8. 200sh

200sh Junior Member

Thanks, yes you are correct 4L. my mistake ......Just got home and was looking at an 09 dealer had for sale in the paper beside me......Guess I should pay attention to what I'm doing. Any other thoughts on auto as to how the tranny holds up? Appreciate your replies. Thanks..

9. theplowmeister

from MA

I have 2000 TJ with manual and a 2000 TJ with auto. The auto has a 2 second delay from the time you put the shifter into revers and the time it engages revers

shift
    thousand one
    thousand two
    engage.

IT SUCKS

10. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

What really sucks is when your employees don't wait until it engages in reverse and they are slamming it back and forth.

Blown clutch...$250 and 6-8 hours in a parking lot if you had too.
    F-ed auto trans.....$$$$$$

11. wpeterson47

wpeterson47 Junior Member

I like auto. 1997-2002 auto was tougher (RH 32 trans). 2003ff. auto was not as tough according to jeep forum guys.

wep

12. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Auto

I had a 4.0L YJ with 5-speed (AX-15), experienced some clutch chatter when it got hot.

Now have an XJ Cherokee with AW4 (good auto), much happier. A temp gauge and transmission cooler is a must.