1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

and suddenly...nothing

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by plownow, Dec 18, 2005.

1. plownow

plownow Junior Member
    from WI

Looking for some suggestions:
    Meyer C-7.5, E-47 powerunit, Recently serviced (fluid changed, white in color - moisture in fluid). Worked fine for a day or two, then suddenly nothing. With joystick in either angle direction and raising the motor runs but no movement on the blade. Fluid looks a bit low but not much. Would seem that low fluid should slow down - not stop. Since motor runs the starter solenoid must be OK. Since everything stopped must not be one of the other solenoids - unless they all went out at once (unlikely). Air temps are below freezing.

What else to check? Is there a mechanical connection (keyway or shear pin?) between the motor and hydraulic pump?

I'm puzzled. Thanks for any and all replies.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Likely answered the question yourself - ice is blocking the system. Heat it up and drain, flush (maybe 2-3 times) and refill.

3. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

One drop of water will stop a Meyer.

Good Luck gettin er goin.

4. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

put the truck in a garage and heat...if plow works, there is water in system...therefore, it was frozen. use a plow fluid that is rated for below freezing temps.

brian

5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

fluid change

When you changed the fluid did you change the fluid in the power angle rams? If you didn't you have water in that fluid also. Hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic, it absorbs moisture. When the fluid turns solid, no mater who made it you can not pump it. Change the little check valve on the fill bushing of the lift cyl cap and change fluid after you heat it up. You should be good to go.

Dave

6. plownow

plownow Junior Member
    from WI

Thanks for the replies, guys. Sounds like water is likely my culprit. Anyway, better thinking that then a blown pump! One other question....a ran into town tonight as I didn't have any 'plow fluid' to top off the system. No place in town (small rural town on Sunday) sells the 'official' plow fluid that I've used in the past. Never asked but what is 'plow fluid'? My assumption would be that it is the same as any quality all-season hydraulic fluid, right? I didn't go that route - I'll wait until tomorrow when a shop is open that I know does sell the stuff. But, could iI have just picked up some all-season, low temp hydraulic fluid and been good to go?

Thanks again!

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Although some plow companies claim otherwise, I've come to believe that any good ATF or hydraulic fluid will be fine. Think about it. The transmission in your car works and your other hydraulic systems work in the cold, don't they? Like the loader on my tractor, I just let it warm up for 15 minutes or so - operate the bucket a couple of cycles and it's fine. I let my diesel truck warm up longer than that, then run the angle arms a couple of times. I insisted on Fisher Hydraulic fluid until I noticed that on my older MM, it says "changed ATF annually".

8. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

fluids

Meyer designs there fluid to use a light viscosity low temp fluid. I use Meyer or Glacial blue. Both are low temp light viscosity fluids. ATF in a Meyer will not work very well in low temperatures. The fluid is to thick and high amp draws occur when the temps are low.

I have had Meyer products for 34+ years. I have plowed with others but purchase Meyer.

Dave

9. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

to Dave Ohio

ONE drop? I have taken water out of Meyer pumps for other people. If the amount of water in fluid was moonshine I could get a good buzz if I drank that much shine!!!

You sound like a red plow driver!!!

Glad to see someone from our area chiming in...

Dave