1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

And so it begins

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JimMarshall, Dec 22, 2015.

1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

No plowing so far for me this year, I've done one salt application. Saw my first 1 season used plow up for sale today on Facebook. Someone learned it wasn't as easy if money as they thought.

2. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe it will thin out the herd a little and that will be better for pricing in the future.

3. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

There haven't been many "want to get a plow and make all kinds of money" threads since October.

4. JMHConstruction

^^^ take that back. Just saw a post with a guy asking for a free plow...

5. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Read that too.
    I want a free plow!

6. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Please direct me to this thread lol

7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Got to love those. That is how I came across the plow on my personal truck. Guy buys brand new MVP3 - plowed 3 times total - backed over a fire hydrant 2nd time out, smoked his trans 3rd time out. He said this plowing snow stuff is not for him.... so I kicked him in the shins and practally stole his plow from him so he had cash to get his trans fixed. :laughing:payup

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'm running almost 100% profit on my seasonals.....lol. I know, I know, I'm joking.

10. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Yea I'm going to love all the fire sales that happen in the next month or so. I'll admit I thought my first year it'd be a get rich quick gig. But knew I was in it for the long haul so I've always owned two plow trucks incase one breaks. Let me tell you I'm not rich yet lol.

11. JMHConstruction

About 2 or so years ago our local news did a story on some roofing company plowing snow. The guy said that he makes more per storm than his roofing company makes in 3 months. Swear to god that after that there wasn't a plow or even a shovel for sale in the entire city. Not to mention I'm sure all his accounts felt ripped off. Everyone wants to get rich from snow, but no body thinks about years like this.

12. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

I make sure to have enough seasonals to cover my bills just for times like this! Lol I'd like to have extra money but no snow oh well. I have a landscape contract getting ready to start paying so deffinately not worried.

13. LapeerLandscape

This is far from what we did 2 years ago. Snowed a lot in Dec and then got a major ice storm on Dec 22 2013, I was without power for just over 7 days. Jan 4 or 5 (I think) we got an 18" storm then turned bitter cold.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  14. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I'm the same way. I have just enough seasonal work to pay my utilities, insurance, and salaries for me and the other 2 owners and 2 critical employees over the winter without any snow at all.

15. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

All my resis are seasonal, I split my commercial about 50/50. I'm good till my Feb bills. I do want to plow in jan/feb, but I can also start selling ponds in Feb if need be.

I'm also expecting a lot of phone calls from customers whose plow company's didn't make it.

16. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing.

17. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe but it seems there is always someone else to take their place

18. LapeerLandscape

Yeah isnt it fun.... :dizzy: