1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anchorage anyone??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kl0an, Sep 30, 2004.

1. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Just trying to get a network started up here in Anchorage. If there's anyone out there, drop me a note.

Paul Jordan
    Anchorage, AK

2. Guy

Guy Member
    from Alaska

Dang, nobody else?
    I'm here, but just a recreational plower. :redbounce

3. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

I'm here....I own Little New Orleans restaurant in Anchorage....putting a Boss Poly 7'6" on my truck next Wednesday to plow my lot and maybe pick up a few things on the side. :drinkup:

Johnny
    www.littleneworleans.com

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Juneau here. mighty fine state we live in.

5. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Alright Guy, what the heck is a recreational plower?? hehe.. You just do it for fun and exercise??

I'm not a full timer, I've got a day job. I'm just looking to try and get some of us together and maybe just back each other up. I just talked to Green Acres today and he tried to tell me he pays owner/operators $38-43/hr based on experience. I'll stay in bed before I drive my truck for $38 an hour.

I'm running backup already for a guy I work with and he's been picking up more accounts and making me his primary on them.. I haven't even tried finding my own accounts yet. I figured I'd look for flag downs and maybe pick up a few that way.

Where is that New Orleans restaurant?? Never heard of that one. I live on the South side down a little south of Huffman myself. I work in mid town so I'll prolly be running out at lunch and hitting a few clients as well as my early morning commercials. I think if I have time to do any residential, it'll be after 5pm..

6. Duplantisjj

Get my plow installed this week...WooHoo.. :redbounce I'd be willing to make a few bucks on the side,,residential/commercial,,whatever. I'd only be available during the overnight-early morning hours as I do have a restaurant to run. I paid nearly $7,000 last year for snow removal..... :realmad: These guys showed up two or there times a day to plow, sometimes right during the lunch rush. Cost me $75 everytime someone showed up. Damn,,, could have had nearly 2 plows for that much money. :cry:

Little New Orleans is near the corner of Old Seward and Dimond, in the old Godfather's Pizza building. We serve Cajun food and have live music on some weekends,,,and we have Beer/Wine. :drinkup:

Johnny D
    www.littleneworleans.com

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  7. Guy

Guy Member
    from Alaska

8. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Duplantisjj, I'll have to take a gander at your cookin there one of these nights. I'm only doing the plow thing late night and early morning as well. I work for United Utilities and we handle telecommunications in about 60 Bush villages. I worked for two different contractors last Winter driving a truck for one and a front end loader for the other. Learned some of the ropes and picked up my truck this Spring. I've been puttering with it all Summers. Got all my goodies in it now and once I swap my tires and rims over and put my blade on, I'll be ready to go. The hardware is there for the blade, just gotta hook up the chain and two pins and I'm ready to go.

Hey Guy, I think the three of us are pretty much in the same boat here. I enjoy the extra money you can make plowing but, it's not my main source of income. I also have a 4 wheeler set up with a blade that I need to get running.. It hasn't run in about 4 years.. I also have 4 different sized snow blowers that I may get my son to run on some sidewalks.. Have to see about that..

If you guys need a backup, give me a call anytime at 907-301-1140.. I'm down south of Huffman but, right now, I've got a backup route that takes me all over town.. A nice fat commercial would be the ticket..

OK, need to start my snow dance now.. :redbounce purplebou :bluebounc

9. SnowPlow King

SnowPlow King Junior Member

Anchorage, Alaska....

I'm an Anchorage resident also. This is my second year plowing (1st as an owner operator). Went out and bought two rigs and a business license and I'm working as a sub-contractor this year. First rig is a 96 Ford f250, second rig is a 95 Ford Bronco. Using Western Uni-Mounts for both rigs....

If anybody is interested I have 2 western uni-mounts I'm willing to sell. One came off of a 99 Ford F-250, second came off of a 2000 Chevy 1500.

10. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Welcome to the board King. I'm running an old cable Western on my 76 GMC. I plowed last year for two different contractors, one driving his trucks and the other running a front end loader with a Protech box.

The first guy I plowed for was running Daniels Back Blades.. I'd sure like to run across someone selling one of those locally.

Holler if you need any help in the early mornings or after 6pm.

Paul

11. Duplantisjj

Hey guys.....Where's the snow? And what's up with our weather forcasters.. :realmad: They couldn't predict their butthole out of a snowstorm!! They're calling for snow Sunday.....but today was supposed to rain/sleet....Hard to find the rain/sleet through all that sunshine.... :angry:

Anyway...nice to see a few folks from Anchorage on board. I'm like Kl0an, I may have some late nights/early morning available if needed. Just had my Boss 7'6" installed last week. Posted pictures under My New Boss in the pictures forum.

Hey Kl0an I may be able to give your son a sidewalk if he needs one. It's around my restaurant, probably about 150 feet of sidewalk. I have a blower but finding time is difficult these days. Plus my blower is home and I hate putting it in my truck. :cry:

Johnny

12. Guy

Guy Member
    from Alaska

Snow is here..... I have a buddy who's near Dowling and Old Seward who needs his driveway done, ..... I'm on the North-east side, so it would be 30-40 min. away. Anybody close to him?

13. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Hey called me right after lunch Guy, I'm like a good rock throw away from his place, I told him I could hit it right after I get off work and if he had called an hour earlier, I could have done it at lunch.. I don't have a problem hitting accounts at lunch at all..

I went out cruising neighborhoods after plowing a 4-plex last night hoping for a few flagdowns.. Barely got a morning account done this morning when my alternator gave up on me.. Nursed it over to AutoElectric on Dowling and they took it and my $250 and I was out by 9:45am. I was trying to work a trade where I'd plow thier parking lot for knocking some of that bill down but, they claim they have 2 guys doin it already.

It's supposed to be snowing more today but, I don't see it, maybe tonight.. I need some accounts to pay that alternator bill.. haha..

"Want your drive way plowed mister?? How much?? $250.. "

14. Guy

Guy Member
    from Alaska

LOL, that's a good one, kl0an. On the bright side, we wouldn't have had a used one for ya, and Napa sells crap. I seen a lot of "rebuilt" alternators turned in here as cores. I'm sure Autoelectric sold you a good one. Won't have to pull it again in 3 months.
    Anyhow, thanks, and let me know if you need any help on this side of town, like friends or relatives.
    I got my 1st account. My boss trades me 20gal used (from wrecked cars) gasoline for 2hrs work on a 4" trigger.

15. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Jeez Guy, that doesn't sound like a deal at all.. Well, for HIM it is but, 2 hours work for basically $40?? And he's pretty much getting the gas for free and better yet, he doesn't have to get rid of it.. I think you need to re-negotiate that one my friend.

I don't know anyone on your side of town but, I'll keep you in mind if something comes up.. Drop me a note with your number sometime.

Can you keep an eye out for one of those jump seats for a Ford Expedition?? I have one in leather that is torn all to hell.. This is the little seat on the passenger side that folds down so they can get in the back.

Keep in touch, the Winter is still young.

16. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Duplantisjj,

Did you find someone to do your walks?? When would you want them done by??
    I'm gonna go in the backyard and dig out my snow blowers this weekend and get them moving. I think I'll keep one of the medium sized ones in the bed of my truck for quick cleanups.

SnowPlow King,

Can you give me an idea what you're paying for insurance and who you're with? That's the only reason I haven't gone with one of the big companies as a contractor, that insurance part looms over my head as a BIG bill..

17. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

KlOan;

insurance? You may try Griffin MacLean inc. out of Bellevue, WN. (206) 622-3459. They are brokers for Alaska National Insurance Co. and have been giving me great service for the past 10 years. Realy nice people to deal with and will treat you right.
    I can't quote you for your application but I am sure they would be glad to.

Dwan

18. Duplantisjj

Hey Kl0an,

I just get my dishwashers out there with shovels. They love it :realmad:

Now I need to work on finding a cheap way of salting or sanding the lot. I see my customers slipping and sliding all the way to my front door :eek:

John

19. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Just pick up one of those push spreaders like people use for fertilizing. The guy I partner with here uses that for the small amount of sanding/salting he does. They'll hold a bag or two of icemelt. The ones that have the spinner on the bottom work best. I see them at yard sales all the time REALLY cheap.. Couple bucks at best. But, try and find a yard sale this time of year. hah.

I went cruising for flag downs the other night way down in the SouthWest part of town in the upper class neighborhoods and it surprised me how many had heated driveways.. Not a trace of snow anywhere and it was almost a wet look.. Must be nice to afford that.. Puts us out of work but, it's nice..

How's work coming along for you guys?? I've been pickin up 1 or 2 more jobs each day. Had one guy that wants to trade me a 72 3/4 ton stepside pickup for my plowing. It's an aerodynamic stepside.. So many rust holes, the air goes right thru it. It's salvageable and restorable but, I really don't have the time.. Make a decent plow truck with some bondo and primer.. Then another one of my customers asked me if I wanted the truck in the back of his place for a few hundred bucks.. It's an older model just like mine.

Oh well, what're ya gonna do??

20. Guy

Guy Member
    from Alaska

WE have
    EXPEDI 99 UG -TAN LEATHER 60/40 FOLD-DOWN
    or EXPEDI 97 UG -GRAY,LEATHE,60/40,XLT
    If I understand, this is the 2nd seat, not the one all the way in the back.