1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ANbody every used buyers pro wings on a V plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowboy, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Plowboy

Plowboy Member

Just looking for alternatives to buying a bigger plow

2. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

i don't think that the center pin can support this new weight. v-plow weight is already over a regular plow. also steel gauge grade is usually cheaper to reduce the weight of the part of a vplow.

Not from my own experience, but i was looking to do something like this, (hydraulics pro wing on a reg straight plow). For sure it will be more efficient, but the cost of the wears and tears and the risk of a breakdown during a storm. I prefer work secure, it pay more.

Denis

3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We bought a business last summer and the owner (who came aboard as landscape maintenance Production Manager) had wings on his Boss V.... said it worked just fine and he loved the productivity.

We took them off and told him to "live with it".

4. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

JA, is that because you were concerned about the Center Pin also, or jsut didn't want to

5. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

We had a set on our 8' Boss V and no problems.Worked real well.Thinking about buying them for the 9' Boss's

6. John Allin

I was chicken to take the chance. Pure and simple.
    Not a great answer from one who thrives on pushing the envelope.

7. cut-rite

cut-rite Junior Member

I run pro wings on my 8.5 EZV,they help a lot. They are harder on the rig but for me it's a good trade off.
    Brad

8. earth works inc.

earth works inc. Member

Mike: do you have a problem with them wearing uneven? i know with my 8'boss v - the cutting edge doesnt were even.
    how much time do you think they save you. do you keep them on all the time or for just certain snow events?

curious had thought about it but never tried it.

9. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

No problem with wearing.Now we are switching to urathane,will be even better.:D
    Good Luck

10. MWeaver

MWeaver Junior Member

I have a Western 8'6" V plow and considered putting the pro wings on it but was told by my dealer that the end of the wings would drag on the ground during transport when it is in the V position. Can anyone confirm whether they do touch the ground during transport and if so, do you then travel with it in staight blade mode? Only problem with traveling in straight blade mode is that it puts more of the weight farther out front of an already heavy plow and increases the wear on the front suspension.

11. John Allin

MWeaver,
    That makes sense.

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

We make our own plow entensions for our plows,extending most to 11 ft,and they all drag on the ground when angled.We have to remove them for road transport.

13. GREG R

GREG R Junior Member

WYLDMAN
    Do you have any picture to post
    on those homemade extention.
    Would love to see those, design and set-ups

14. wyldman

wyldman Member

I will try to get a pic if i can.We just made a template of the curvature of the blade,and cut two pieces out of steel and welded them into a frame,and used poly as the moldboard surface.They slide in place with two 1 12" x 1 12" square reciever tubes (like a trailer hitch) and two pins to hold them on.The carbide overlaps at the bottom to keep it rigid.We then weld matching tube on to our ballast bumpers to carry the extensions when not in use.I'll see if i can get some pics together and post them for you.

BTW,does anyone know the best way to post pics,and how it is done here ?

15. cut-rite

cut-rite Junior Member

MWweaver, how high is your truck? I have them on a chevy(very low)in extreme Vee they will touch the ground I just run it a little forward and they are fine.
    Brad

16. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I have 8 inch cutting edge on my Boss V and with the extra 2 inches the edges would hit often in the V position. I have to bump it out of V position a little when transporting to keep from hitting. I can imagine with the wings it would be even worse.

17. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

Wyldman

I have all the directions on my website on posting pictures on Lawnsite. Here is the link. http://www.elmlawnsite.com/post_pictures.htm

I also have a Snow Forum links page of a lot of main topics for the Snow Forum and that page can always be found by going to my site or clicking this link.
    http://www.elmlawnsite.com/snow_forum_links_page.htm
    You can always get to my site by clicking on my name at the top left where the moderator names are. I hope this helps.

If you have any problems posting your picture, email it to me and I will post it for you. ;)

Eric