1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

An opportunity I can't take.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Beachernaut, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

I wasn't sure where to post this, so it's here.

I've been plowing with my ATV for a few years now, and upgraded to a Homesteader on my S10 this year.
    We're in the middle of a fair size storm so I put the plow on this morning before I came to work (I'll do a few friends driveways on the way home).
    No sooner do I pull into work and park, then an ex co-worker pulls up and asks how much I charge. I was honest, I don't know what I'd charge, it depends entirely on what he wants me to plow. As luck would have it, he reciently acquired a auto parts store and is looking for someone to keep the parking lot clear. I told him I'd think about it and get back to him.

Fast forward a few hours. He calls me and tells me that everyone in the building (strip mall) is sick of the contractor that did it last year, and they want me to do it.
    Parking lot only, no sidewalks, no salt. There's no reason for me to get out of my truck.

I'm going over this evening to let him know that I can't accept.
    The major reason is that I will not do their lot without insurance, and I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't pay enough to cover my costs plus a bit of profit for me.
    The other reasons are that I never intended to make a living at this, my full time job comes first, and I only have 1 truck, so a break down would leave me with no way to do their lot.

It's unfortunate really. To my knowledge there's only 1 contractor in the area, and a lot of people don't like him. If someone were to move in and do a decent honest job, they could probably make a good living.
    I just thought I'd share.
    Here's a pic of the lot we're talking about.

2. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Kudos on knowing and understanding why its not for you at this time.
  3. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Well the insurance you can work around with a signed waiver. But if you lose your mode of transportation that would be a tough one. Of course you could still break down plowing a friends driveway too. But I agree you are probably better off to pass on this one for now. On a different note I'm planning on moving out to Wyoming in a few years and just wanted to say I love your state more than any other state.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Is that a gravel lot off a dirt road?
  5. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

Thanks, I'd never planed on making much money plowing. I was just hoping to have enough driveways in my subdivision to cover my expenses and maybe a bit extra.

In today's world, it's a gamble on using a waiver. I'd assume be covered as best I can. All of the driveways I do are either family or friends, and they understand that I'm doing this mostly to help them out. Around here the wind blows all the time, and can literally block your driveway with a drift in a matter of hours. If I break down, or the drifts get too big to plow, there're a couple people in the subdivision with tractors.

That's an old picture. It's all paved, but some of the paving isn't much better than gravel.