1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

an E-60 question.

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by tjctransport, Feb 15, 2015.

1. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the E-60 on the 04 F350 started acting strangely today. i swapped trucks with the driver to see what was up. sometimes it will not right angle. it almost felt like the quick connect was bad and not letting fluid pass. then a few seconds later it would work fine except that when the piston was fully extended, when you let off the control button you can hear a "clunk". it will only do this at full extension right angle though. left angle will work fine, and hold left. right angle has a mind of it's own and will sometimes feel like it is in float position, it will not hold right, if you put any pressure on the plow it will flop around like a fish out of water. then a few seconds later it is fine and will hold right like it is supposed to. any ideas???

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would start with the c valve and coil. Check for rust on the coil under the nut that holds it on. Take coil off to make sure valve is not swollen. Sound like C valve is starting to stick or you have a weak coil. You can use the good old screwdriver on the coil test. Compare to the B coil. The pull should be the same. Unlikely the crossover would be fine one second and worn out the next. Last thing to check is the pilot check and ball. Makes sure it is moving freely. I use a brass drift to re-seat the ball. One swift whack with hammer seems to work pretty well.

3. tjctransport

thanks. i was leaning towards the valve sticking due to contamination of the oil.

4. tjctransport

the coil should come rite off the valve, rite??
    i went to check it and the only way to get it off is to pry it off with a pair of channel lock pliers.
    the shaft of the valve has a "step" in it making the coil very tight.

5. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

The coil should slide off of the valve with relative ease , barring any corrosion that could be on the stem of the valve or inside the coil assembly preventing it from freely sliding off.

In your case from what you describe I would suspect that you have a swollen C valve , possible explaining the problems you were having .

I would replace ASAP.

TOM

6. tjctransport

bingo!!!!. put a used valve from a parts body on and it is working somewhat. still has a lot of air to bleed out, but is better.
    still binds up sometimes, but i think it is just the air in the lines and cylinders.
    just for the heck of it, i tried removing the coil from the E-60 on my 02, and that one will not come off either. but it still works.

so i am ordering 2 new valves.
    lets just hope the 02 holds up for tonight, i had to use my backup pump on the other truck wit hthe valve sheared off the E-47. so i have no spares for tonight.

7. tjctransport

what causes the swollen valve, water, or something else?
    i never had these kinds of problems with the E-47's.

8. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I clipped a curb with the left side of my plow a few years ago, hard enough to rip the truck side mount nearly in half on the same side. The angle ram swelled so much that it blew all the paint off it, and then it would only go left. C valve was so swollen that I couldnt get the coil off. I replaced the valve and that fixed the problem.

9. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I think that is caused when the crossover relief is set too high. I think the process is in the manual, but you t a gauge in the angle hose the force the plow to angle by pushing it against something that won't move while watching the gauge.

10. tjctransport

ok. the pressure is set at 2500 i think it is, i checked it last year when i put this pump on the truck. not sure exact number, but it is on the low side of the limits.

11. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

When plowing snow, a snow plow can be exposed to damaging forces caused by impact with hidden obstructions, ends of curbs, etc. With power angling, these damaging forces can damage not only the snow plow but also the vehicle. The crossover relief valve has the function of protecting the snow plow system against these damaging forces under normal snow plowing conditions. The crossover relief valve, cannot protect the system from damaging forces that are too great due to abusive snow plowing conditions.
    Basically, the crossover relief valve functions exactly like the previously described pump relief valve. It’s designed to open at a specific pressure. In this instance, the pressure is not produced by the pump but rather by the damaging force. As an example, assume that the right corner of the plow runs into the end of a curb. The impact will attempt to collapse the right power angling cylinder. As a result, very high hydraulic pressure is produced within the cylinder. When the produced pressure is high enough, it opens the crossover relief valve, allowing the highly pressurized hydraulic fluid to flow directly to the left power angling cylinder.
    When the crossover relief valve functions in this manner, the excessive pressure is released, the excessive energy produced by the impact is absorbed, and the result is only a change in angled position of the plow.
    The crossover relief valve may be adjusted to the specified pressure of 3800 P.S.I. ± 400 by turning the 3/8” hex cap screw after installing a suitable pressure gauge of 5000 P.S.I. in the circuit. TIGHTEN (TURN IN) ADJUSTMENT SCREW TO INCREASE PRESSURE. See Disassembly Figure 3-49 thru 3-56. Reassembly figures 3-57 thru 3-69.

That's from the e60 manual.

12. tjctransport

ok so i would put the gauge in line and try pushing the corner of the blade to see when it cracks off?
    i have the pump set at 3500 psi to angle cylinders at fill extension. (i thought the low side was 2500)

13. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

There are 2 different settings, one for the pump max pressure and one for crossover relief. Ive never actually checked mine but yes, you put a gauge inline and force the plow to angle while watching the gauge to check crossover relief and set your max pump pressure at full angle like you did already.

14. tjctransport

well, i thought it was fixed, but it still has issues. it worked fine for 6 hours and then just stopped going right. then 5 minutes later it worked fine again. then an hour later, it stopped again. hit the right button while dropping the plow and it starts working again. very random when it will stop working.
    i am thinking there must be something in the oil that is blocking the valve every once in a while. any thing else anyone can think of?

15. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I would agree, blockage.

Open it up all valves out, pump and motor. Wash it. If you have new fluid and it looks clean. Save it and filter it. However if you see water bubbles or a discolor pitch it and start with new.

I would blast out the ports with carb cleaner then air.

But then what do I know....but I did have a good nights sleep.

Stop by my shop and we can work on it :)

16. kimber750

3500psi is a bit high for an E60. Start by setting it to 2500psi. Could have a coil that is going bad.

17. tjctransport

brand new coil and valve. the valve was bad, and i destroyed the coil trying to get it off the swollen shaft.
    i flushed the system before putting the new valve in, and also flushed it when replacing the lift packing and tube o-ring, but may have missed a piece of the old lift tube o-ring.

i am going to try draining and flushing it out again, but this time i will remove the valves.

18. kimber750

So you had another swollen valve? Not sure if it is possible but putting 3500psi through the valve all the time could be what is damaging your valves.

19. tjctransport

no this is the pump that had the swollen valve.
    i replaced the lift packing on last month before all the angle problems started.

20. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

3500 psi will blow top cap for sure ,might even take studs with it .seen it 4 times so fare this winter . e 60 with small cylinder runs 2500 psi. with the upgrade kit should set it at 2000 psi .back off your cross over valve a 1/4 to 1/2 turn might save you some c valves .