1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

an E-60 head scratcher.

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by tjctransport, Jan 28, 2015.

1. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i pulled one of the E60's apart to replace the lift ram packing cup, because it would not hold in the up position.
    went to put it back together and the cap will not seat into the tank. it stops a little more than 1/8 inch from seating.
    i tried everything from tapping it down with a small ball peen, to trying to draw it in with the nuts. and snapped the cap.

i have rebuilt over 50 E47's and never had a problem with the cap seating on the tank.
    any ideas what the heck is going on with this pump?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Only things I can think of are lift tube not seated properly in base, sleeve not seated all the way in cap or you got hammer happy. :laughing:

3. tjctransport

have you ever had problems with the o-ring on bottom of the lift tube?
    the ram came out of the tube because the packing was flat, the sealing edge was worn completely off. i then pulled the lift tube out on it's own, and the lower seal was ripped/cut clean through.
    i had a very hard time getting the o-ring to stay on the tube, i had to use a coat of grease to get it to stay put.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  4. kimber750

I put the o ring in the base then install lift tube. Never had an issue doing it this way. I have seen the spacer on the top of lift tube hang up a bit. Also if the ram if not in farm enough it can hold the lift tube up a bit.

5. timboy

timboy Member
    from Ny

I always put the o ring in the base not on the tube,done hundreds that way.
    Was it the small or big bore cylinder, is there a chance you got the tube in upside down,I have seen it happen a few times.

6. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

pm sent .I think I can help

7. tjctransport

the small tube that came out of it.

bingo!!! i woke up at 3 am and realized i never seated the ram in the tube.
    i will know for sure once i go out to the shop in a few.
    i was trying to quick fix it still on the truck, in 29 degrees weather, with only 4 hours sleep in 80 hours.
    and i answered it. Thumbs Up

8. tjctransport

all better!!
    inspected the packing and it was good. seated it in the tube, new o ring in the base, took a cap off the shelf with a new seal, and it all slid rite together like it should have yesterday if i was not so dang tired and put it together wrong.

9. kimber750

Thumbs Up.........

10. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

glad you got it fixed . hate to see anyone down.

11. kimber750

Don't let him fool you, he has a pile of spare pumps. :laughing:

12. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I have some spare parts if you need em :)

13. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

:laughing: I do have rebuilt master seal kits in all 3 e 60 1 e 57 h and 6 e 47 left to sell this year new motors new rams and what ever else they needed replaced .all 100 percent, all presser set ready to go .should all be sold next snow we have ,craigs list .ussmileyflag

14. kimber750

Shop has a new E61H and E58H they have been sitting on for awhile. Guy came in the other day looking for a back up pump. Didn't want either of the new ones but for us to build him an E60 from parts that are laying around. Which is fine because I am tired of tripping over them.

15. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Racer...where in OHio are you ?

I would like a E69 spare. I have two good motors just need pumps with valves.

16. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

southern ohio 45601 .45 minutes south of Columbus ohio .look at Columbus or Chillicothe ohio craigslist my numbers on add.

17. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Yep I know exactly where you are...too bad you are not closer.

Might give you call this weekend.

18. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

I can send invoice throught paypal and I can ship .I just shipped 1 out today, ups insured 50.00 bucks for shipping

19. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

kimber 750 do you like the newer pumps. i like the older e 60 pumps .they seem to be faster, if they got the smaller cylinder in them .and you don't need the 8 inch lift .

20. kimber750

I still have an E47 on my back up truck. :laughing: In 20 years have rebuilt once(just to freshen it up), one C valve, one angle ram hose ( forgot to unhook it:laughing:), some couplers and swivels, one motor and yearly fluid changes. What I don't like about the newer pumps is the harnesses. The old harnesses rarely had any problems. The new stuff, especially that one with trailer style plug are garbage. Now I have no experience with e72.