1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

amyone build their own leds?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Detroitdan, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I was looking at leds on ebay, you can buy various sizes in bulk pretty cheap. I suppose this is what a lot of these guys are doing that are selling the sticks and whatnot. So I was thinking I could install a bunch like hideaways, or add them inside my light bar, or even make something to mount up by the visor. I can solder and fabricate some things ok, just dont know too much about resistance and things like that. LED flasher will probably run about a million little bulbs.
    So how do I determine what size I should get, and how bright they need to be? I think I could make something like a TIR 3 pretty easily. Who knows, if it works out maybe I could build some amber stuff to sell here next season.

2. kklick

kklick Junior Member
    from ohio

Sounds like a cool project. Here is a link that might help. http://ledcalc.com/ You'll have to have some type of resistors on there. Here is another link with some folks who sound like they know what they're talking about. http://forums.makezine.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2589

I'd probably buy a tir3 or one of the cheaper ones and tear it apart and see what all parts are in there. If you can figure out who makes the parts then you'd be all set.

3. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

yah but how you gonna mold the case ??? good thought though ....

4. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Dan, shoot me an email, and I'll send you some pics. I took a bunch of photos of a smashed TIR3 that I took apart after I replaced it.
    bluelineent@aol.com

5. kklick

kklick Junior Member
    from ohio

Could probably just buy some cheap marker lights to start out with. rip out the guts and go to town.

6. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I've seen sites with instructions. Looked like fun. They made an arrow stick that looked pretty good and the frame was actually a part to a closet. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, just for fun. Oh and I believe there is a guy on elightbars.org that makes his own too.

7. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

true true ....

8. Doghouse2

Doghouse2 Junior Member

I did that with recon clear marker lights. I put two luxeon leds (1 watt) in each of the outside (small) lights and 8 in the center bar. The lens makes the light quite diffuse, but it is effective nevertheless.

9. Detroitdan

What I was thinking is to put some blue ones in my lightbar behind a clear lens. And if they work out maybe put some in my truck lights like hide-aways. I would hope they could be wired with a simple +/- wire, rather than a circuit board. And if so then I could easily figure out how to make some simple reflectors in housings like the TIR3. Interior mounted strip lighting would probably be real easy.
    I found some Sho-Me flashers on ebay, says they flash 4 times a second and will handle up to 100 bulbs. Didn't say anything about alternating though.
    I really have no need for blue lights, and with 12 amber strobes up top I don't need any more lights for plowing, but I just think it would be fun to make.
    It must be harder than it seems, or everyone would be doing it.

10. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

11. Detroitdan

Boy that resistor calculation gets confusing. I can see running a resistor prior to a bulb, but there seems to be a lot more to it than that. Sometimes you need different sized resistors, and sometimes in series and sometimes not. WTF? Here's an idea-why not make LED bulbs with resistors already on them so you can use it on a 12v system? Even the replacement vehicle bulbs like taillight bulbs generally require resistors, if I'm not mistaken. So why not include it?

If I tied together a strip of say 25 leds, why can't I just put one resistor on the input just before it reaches the bulbs wired in series? Or can I? I don't think I can. It looks like they need to be modulated by different size resistors. Just confused as to why you can't regulate the voltage with a resistor going into a line of LEDs, and run all of them that way. I can't see taking the time to install five million resistors inline. THen there's the diodes. IIRC, diodes are only to regulate the direction of current flow, right? So why did he need so many of them? Or any of them for that matter?

I put some red leds in my bar so I'd have 3 lights in the center like a DOT bar, I think they were 5mm. All I did was drill 3 holes, push the bulbs through and wire up power and ground to the parking light circuit. They work fine.

12. shanta74

shanta74 Member

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/LED.htm here is another site to look at if you are running a 2 v led then u need the same resistor for every 2v led with the same amp flow and if your running a 4v you need the same size risistor for every 4v led with the same amp flow. the "module" in the first article was just a circuit board to hold all the leds and resistors it was still a 12v supply wired in parallel with a bunch of one led one resistor series circuits on the end.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  13. shanta74

shanta74 Member