1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

amsteel blue plow lift rope

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by 850xp, Dec 3, 2011.

1. 850xp

850xp Junior Member
    from Kansas

Newbie here, I am already having problems with my steel cable fraying, and it hasnt even snowed.
    Anyone ordered from customsplice.com?
    I see they have ropes listed for plowing, along with the aluminum fairleads.
    http://www.customsplice.com/store/5/

here are the two items I am looking at getting.
    1/4 x 10 foot amsteel blue - hoping he has it in a darker color
    and a small fairlead.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. irv

irv Senior Member

i have ordered from blitzkreug products llc[blitzkrueg.com] its a husband and
    wife who go out of their way for customer service.they are up around madison
    wis. we rode up and found their house one sunday on the bike and she
    even did some splicing that day for us.nice day trip.nice people and great
    service.they did ebay back then too.would recommend them to anyone.
    ---irv toms

3. 850xp

850xp Junior Member
    from Kansas

I found his the owner of customsplice's cell number on pirate4x4.com and gave him a call, his wife answered and gave me the answers I needed. Good people, they even said they would get it shipped for me today.
    I will try and get some pics shortly after I get it.

4. 850xp

850xp Junior Member
    from Kansas

I got the gear in today, I need to go get pics but my battery is dead.
    Here are the items I bought, I could not be happier!
    Fairlead
    Plow rope

Todd was very helpful tonight on the phone, took me 10-15 minutes to change out the wire and roller for the fairlead and rope.

5. 850xp

850xp Junior Member
    from Kansas

All this precip, and no snow. If it only lowered about 10 degrees.

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have 43 degree with rain past 2 days

Tell me how rope works been thinking doing that to mine my cable looks good I run a roller fairlead My atv is a 01 with same cable no breaks but the plow has got heavier from custom wings this yr

7. Custom Splice

Custom Splice Junior Member

Hey guys, 850xp said I should respond to you guys.
    The rope works much better in the cold than the steel, as it has no memory and will not bunch up on one side of the drum.
    I would highly suggest running 1/4 inch AmSteel if you do much plowing at all,
    By converting to what we sell as a plow line you reduce the wear and tear on your winch, and your charging system.

I run AmSteel Blue Year around, I do change to a short 10 foot plow line for winter, as I do all my neighboors drives and the road out of our sub division, as the city does not do our road till day 4 of a storm.

If you have any questions just PM me.

8. 850xp

850xp Junior Member
    from Kansas

Hey man thanks for the response and thanks for the service! Cannot wait to use the rope and fairlead when we actually get some slick stuff.

9. irv

irv Senior Member

custom splice is also good to deal with . i ebayed amsteel from him
    a few years back. so far i have had a little better luck plow wise with the
    wide strap.--irv

keep us posted on how the rope works for you guys. the good part is if it
    breaks you can tie it together. done that before.try that w/steel.

10. Custom Splice

Nice Setup their irv!
    Let me know if you have any questions!

11. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

I too have had much better luck with a wide towing strap that I cut down to about 6' and wrapped on the winch drum. Purchased a Blitzkrieg Hawse fairlead just for winter plowing use. Also this year I fabbed up a new lift point on my Warn 60" plow. I now have a 1/2" pin that I can pull out, put the loop through from the tow strap and put the pin back in with a cotter key. See pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Personally, I've had nothing but problems from cable OR synthetic rope. Fraying or snapping off at the worst time. After my second season plowing with my Grizzly, I decided to go the wide strap route. The fairlead you posted a pic of will work fine for the job. Go to A auto parts store and look for a $20 2" wide tow strap. Cut it to fit ( I used about 10ft or so) I also used a 1/2" steel cable clamp to secure the "D" ring I use to attach the strap to the blade. I used this all last season with zero issues.

The orange strap is thin and broke the first time out with it. I then found a thick tow strap that is yellow and it's been flawless.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

Same here. While I didn't use Amsteel, I had the Warn plow rope and steel cable. I just don't see either holding up for a heavy plow especially with the Power Pivot installed.

14. irv

irv Senior Member

look at all those pretty power angles. want to go back to manual guys?
    --irv
    like the pin setup fo the strap, too

15. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

lol.. i'll go back to manual if you sit on the back rack for weight and get off everytime i need to change the angle :laughing:

16. Custom Splice

Those Power Pivots are nice!
    I wonder if I could adapt one to fit my Polaris Plow..

17. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I think the only way to make it work is to have the mount plate for a warn plow assembly. You'd then have to fabricate the assembly to the Polaris plow. Probably more work then it is to even bother. But yes, the Power Pivots are nice. I only get off the Grizzly after I load it back up on the trailer when I'm done plowing. :D

18. Reb

Reb Senior Member
    from Wyoming

I have used the synthetic rope on both of my atv's setup with snowplows for years now, never had one break yet. But I attach the rope to the winch drum so I have 4 lines coming off the drum to spread the load. I also don't have the loop braided into the rope which is usually the break point from prior experience. Both atv's are setup with down pressure systems on the blades which increases the load on the line. Where there is a will there is a way.

19. Custom Splice

How do you like the down pressure setup?

I have been looking at the cycle country one, I figure it has to work better than the bag of sand I have been using!

20. Reb

Reb Senior Member
    from Wyoming

I have had good success with the CC down pressure system. I have it mounted on my Prairie 360 and use it the most due to speed.

Years ago I found adding weight helped the plow stay down but worked against the atv once the plow was on the ground so I quit using the weight on the plow. With the down pressure system I get the advantage of the weight without the disadvantages.