1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Amsoil vs Rotella

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NBI Lawn, Sep 18, 2009.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have run Ams since day one (27,000 miles) but am starting to hear bad things about it. what Rotella does everyone run in their Cummins trucks? Should I try a non Synthetic oil to be sure my rings seated properly? I hear that if you run syn to soon the rings never seat.

Need opinions soon so I can do this today

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I think we talked about your use of Amsoil last year. I absolutely hate the stuff and will never run it again :gunsfiring:

But to answer your question about what kind of Rotella people run, here is your answer: [​IMG]
  3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I run rottella T Syn and I love the stuff. I got about .5 MPG better when I switched. Plus it starts better in the cold weather. Wally World by has the best prices on the 5-40w gallons about $18 a gallon now. I have never heard anything bad about Amsoil. But I am not one to leave my oil in for 20k like some people do. I think they say up to 10k for rings to seat. So you should be fine. Oh and if you decide to just ru the regular Rottela 15-40w. No your truck isnt leaking oil. Thats called the Rosemella effect. On the first change of rottella you will get a oil smell like its leaking

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I guess I have been unsure about it for a while. My brother has the stuff just stocked in the shop so its hard not to just use it. He has drums of everything so... my truck got a full Amsoil treatment yesterday. Not sure how I feel about it :eek:
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I am likely switching to Amsoil. 97 w/ 135K
  6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Im with Camden always ran Rotella 15/40 in ou diesel trucks winter and summer no problems at all...Have 140 k on my 2001 Cummins and it uses no oil and that is the ONLY oil that has been in it since it was new (except what Dodge put it in)
  7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i run valvoline premuim blue in my cummins seems to work well, i usually put a quart of lucas oil treatment also seems to quiet it down a little in the summertime.
  8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Hey Roy, Don't be shy, just tell us what you really think of Amsoil. LOL
  9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Rotella 5w 40 for me. I like it. I use Amsoil in my quads.
  10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Pardon my ignorance, but what is wrong with amsoil ?

As far as synthetics in a new cummins motor, they are not recommended. You should wait up to 25K if you tow heavy, and work the truck daily. Or 50K if she dont get worked like a dog on a frequent basis. I went 50K before using synthetic oil. Many synthetics are not what they claim to be :nod:
  11. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Yeah what he said. :popcorn: I'm running it need to send in a sample. Was also thinking of adding the bypass kit to help clean the oil up a bit.