1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Amsoil Transmission fluid...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Up North, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Anyone use the Amsoil product in their tranny? I'm changing my fluid this week and was thinking about giving it a try as I am switching over to their motor oil in all our vehicles. If anyone uses it, did you notice any difference in operation or anything else? Recommend it or should I just go with regular trans. fluid?

Buck

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

let me know i was gonna buy there products and they want a minium order of 50 or 100 bucks

3. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Plowman45, they have a program where you can become a preferred customer and buy their products at dist. cost. It's a $20 yearly fee or you can start out at a 6 month trial for $10. Pretty good deal I think, I can get a case of motor oil for about $54 I think. I looked into it a couple months ago, can't remember exact cost, but around $54. Anyway, I was going to wait until my next oil change before starting the program but now my wife's Jeep needs an oil change so I was thinking about getting the tranny fluid as well if people recommend it.

Buck

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

It's well worth it in my opinion. Become a dealer, get the dealer cost and turn your friends on to it. I've had no complaints with any of their products in over 23 years of use. About the only place I can think a person would not want to use it is in something thats not mechanically sound to begin with or with worn seals and leaking gaskets. It's lighter viscosity will allow it to leak more readily in a damaged seal or gasket. The biggest thing I notice in the auto in my truck is easier movement of the truck in extreme cold, faster warmups. In a stick(gear oil or ATF), higher warm up rpm's due to less drag in the trans, less rolling resistance, easier to shift when cold. Quicker warm ups are nice when its -14 out.

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i was gonna do that be a dealer that is

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

If you do, be sure to check out their Amsoiler,, a pre oiling system to help prevent start up wear on the engine.

7. I use amsoil in my jet ski that I race so I go through oil like there's no tomorrow and with being a dealer saves me boat loads of cash. It's a smart move to at least do the preferred customer thing, and it's only 10 bucks.

I know that using their oil in two stroke engines leaves the engine looking brand new after hours of hard running. I would also like to assume that their products do the same in car engines and trannys.

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

A friend of mine uses it in his drag boat. It keeps the v-drive real cool. There's a local speed shop that sells it fairly cheap.

Resized_Resized_Resized_DSC00016.jpg

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

is this going in an allison?

10. Up North

Up North Senior Member

No, I wish it was... :D

A 2000 1/2 ton Chev. Silverado. I did see where Amsoil did have a special fluid for Allison tranny's though, why is that?

Buck

11. crashz

crashz Senior Member

From my experience and my opinion, Amsoil makes an excellent gear oil, ATF, grease, etc. My opinion on the motor oils have changed a bit because Amsoil tends to thicken up considerably for extended oil change intervals. I've got about 5K miles on the current change of ASL 5w-30 and it looks, feels and runs like I have 15W-40 in the crankcase. I haven't done an analysis yet on this fill, however from previous runs of Amsoil ASL, they tend to thicken up one full grade when hot (30w to a 40w). This could be good or bad depending on the engine. My Ford likes a thinner oil (hence my opinion), but most Chevy V8s get better results with a thicker oil. Considering your application, I would think Amsoil would be good for your engine.

12. ratlover

from IL

Their additive package is a bit more slippery in thier regular dextron replacement atf. Guys running higher HP were having issues with slippage were they wernt before or after they switched away from it(some back to dino some to other synthetic). So amsoil supposedly came out with this fluid to meet allisons requirments(although regular dextron meets it, and people wernt having problems?) :rolleyes: So the amsoil torqudrive suppsedly isnt as slippery? Dont have any experience running amsoil ATF in a trans. I run mobil 1 atf and have had great results(even with just a wee bit ;) more power than stock) I've smoked gt mustangs, and turbo eclipses with my truck but no clutches yet.....well I was on the way to pissing off the factory converter before i got my 3 disk but thats another story

I have seen good UOA reports from thier motor oil though and dont think i would have a problem with it....although dont buy one of thier POS airfilters. Never seen such horrible crafstmanship in my life and then the pos came apart in 2k miles :angry: They did want to make it right though and send me a new one but I said no way am I sticking another pos on my truck and bought a UNI and have since switch back to good old AC DELCO......getting ot here again :eek:

13. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Ratlover, I know Amsoil markets oil and air filters but do they actually manufacture them themselves? I thought I'd heard that someone else made them for Amsoil, but that was hearsay you know what that's like... :nono:

I'm thinking that if I service the tranny (change fluid) twice a year due to plowing...once before season starts and once after, I might just use the regular stuff. It could get pretty dang spendy otherwise...unless I do it myself. You made it sound like it's not real difficult in the other thread, but I can turn a simple process into a nightmare fairly easily...one of my finer qualities. :D

Buck

14. ratlover

from IL

I beleive they out sorce thier filters.

for a trans....I tend to believe in regular changes and using dino just becasue syn atf is expensive. I like to run a semi syn in my motor in the winter just for cold weather properties and run syn in the transfer case and differentials. I would be still runing regular atf in my trans but I rebuilt it with some goodies and am running syn for higher heat resistance because i feel the need to try to make my 6700# truck perform like a race car :confused: If I wasnt doing stupid stuff with it I would still be running dino in the trans and syn or semi every were else. I do run syn atf in the plow though.....

15. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Yeah, that Amsoil is awesome. I blew a headgasket running a set of twins so I pulled out the stock pistons for a set of forged jobs with a custom CR, and when I pulled the head off it was like a new engine in there. This was after 58000 miles of hotrodding around at 55 psi. My wife's Grand Cherokee has 100,000 miles on it and all we ever had done was a new window regulator, a new Optima Red Top, and a new upper radiator hose. Amsoil is in every internal combustion chamber we have. Amsoil and Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. That combination is almost unfair for the guys up in Detroit. :cool:

16. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

pro-seaon where did you pick up the twins, and only 55psi

17. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

It's a Piers set with that cool baked finish on the cold pipe. Wastegate is set to pop at 55 psi. I know, I'm a chicken. I got fire rings and everything. Chickens**t. :D

18. powerjoke

i hit 70psi all the time under load like pulling skid loader approx. 9k with trailer and can break the tires loose if your on a hill, i maxed my 80psi gauge one time and then heard a KAPOW, i blew the small trubo so i replaced it with a hx40 and while i had it down i sent the pump to D.D., but i did loose some horse when i went to D.D. injectors stage4, and all in all the ol' trucks been pretty reliable i've got a new freightliner i've got my eye on (M2-106) crew cab, so i'll either turn the dodge over to the guys, or sell it.
    let me know 'bout them underhood pic's
    P.S. what tranny do you have, i got the 6spd and have poped 3 southbend 600+ hp clutches,
    have too many engine mods to list, but this is my third cummins and have learned from my mistakes' the biggest one was buying a powerstroke, hence the name powerjoke

THANKS RICKY

19. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Your'e truck sounds awesome! Keep that bad boy! I got the same tranny and clutch. I want a new Haisley Dual Disc. You need one , too. :)

20. powerjoke

i'd hate to match up with ya, you'd prob. eat my lunch but i will check into your clutch people next tiime, thanks
    ricky@iland.net let's trade pic's