1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

AMSOIL Engine Flush

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2COR517, Oct 17, 2009.

1. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I recently won an oil change from Amsoil. This is going in my 97K2500 with 350. 135K on truck. They sent 6 qts of ASL 100% synthetic high performance 5W-30, an oil filter, and a can of their engine flush. This stuff

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aef.aspx

I am wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this engine flush product. I have heard some horror stories so I want to check around.

This will be my first use of fully synthetic oil, or AMSOIL products. I am looking forward to only two oil changes per year.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry to burst your bubble but winning Amsoil isn't much of a prize :rolleyes:

The best way for you to benefit from this is to sell the oil to some sucker who thinks Amsoil is worth something. You shouldn't have a problem, there are a lot of kool-aid drinkers out there.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I expected that from you LOL. I still have your PM when we talked about this a month ago.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What about the email where we already discussed flushing engines? If you still have it....re-read it.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Flush on engine= depend on how serious sludge.

If it little sludge like just surface then it ok. If it have sludge like this

look at lifters you see that sludge? Then don't bother try flush it. It is harden sludge and knock loose would clog oil pump's pick up strainer.
    For me I would remove intake manifold and valve cover then do scrape and vacuum it so no sludge fall in oil pan and block oil pump from pump.

[​IMG]

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Getting my butt kicked here:blush2:

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes that's what it takes when the mind gets constricted. :D

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Must be the fumes.....:dizzy:

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:D I recommended to wear a respirator. Nothing more I can do.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you would look cool if you put on scuba gear every time you worked on a Fisher....

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Not sure winning the Amsoil was much of a prize either. JMO

12. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Whats wrong with amsoil ?

13. disturban

disturban Junior Member

Not a dam thing! I have a 1988 Suburban that has used nothing but Amsoil since it was new. I run 0w30 SSO right now and only change it once a year with between 15 and 20k miles on it. I have 288,000 miles on the original motor that has never been apart for anything, it does not leak, smoke, tick or knock. It uses maybe 1/2 a QT every 10,000 miles!!!

14. T-MAN

Would someone please enlighten me on what the issue with this product is ? I see little jabs all over here, and when I ask what is wrong with it, the naysayers fall deaf.

15. disturban

disturban Junior Member

That's because there is nothing wrong with their products. Both the SSO and ASL have strong add packs and are both great oils. If someone does not think they are post proof. You can go to bobistheoilguy.com and look at used oil analysis and see they hold up and produce minimal wear. I am not saying there is not other great oils out there because there is...but for extended drain intervals Amsoil is tops bar none! Redline is another oil that showed good UOA's. I would not hesitate to use Penzoil platinum either I would just not go longer than 7,500 miles on it!

16. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I'm a firm believer in Amsoil products. I use there oil in all my engines and i also use there outdrive oil in both of my Donzi's. Most of the big offshore boat racers only run Amsoil..

BTW: not affiliated, just a happy customer.

17. T-MAN

I have read over on Bobs site, lots of great reading if you have lots of time to kill. Got a good education on grease last time I was there.

Honestly this is the first place I have heard anything bad said about amsoil. Seems most of gripes I have heard in the past is the price. Sure would love to hear some input from the folks who think its a ripoff, and why ?

18. Langanobob

Langanobob Junior Member

Amsoil is good oil. The problem is their dealer BS and their own exaggerated marketing claims that some folks, including me, find offensive. But nothing wrong with Amsoil oil itself.

I don't think there's any need to use an engine flush before changing to Amsoil. In my biased opinion the need for a flush is just another one of their marketing escapades in order to try and make their oil seem somehow special.

19. disturban

disturban Junior Member

I agree with you! Another thing is with todays oils you should not need to flush anyway. Todays oils have detergents and other additives that will keep your motor spotless on the inside. Sludge is a thing of the 70's when people used penzoil 10w40 and did not change their oil for 2 years!