1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

amps dropping from 14a to 9a when operating plow????

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by trqjnky, Jan 5, 2010.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

alright, when i angle or lift my blade, the lights on my truck dim and the amps drop way down. whats causing this? electric motor needs replaced???

2. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

you need another battery or bigger alternator or both. also its volts if your going by the guage in your truck.

3. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

umm, yea volts is what i meant. been a looong day. 2 batteries, big alternator.

drops to 9 volts. ampmeters havent been in vehicles since the 70's i dont think. lol

4. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

your alternator bad or one bad/weak battery? maybe go to the local parts store and have them checked they do it on the truck anymore.

5. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

could also be bad connections is there any green fuzzy stuff any where from the bat's to the plow motor or maybe even bad wire's from the alt.. but also could be a bad cell in the battery or bad wire's any where in the system... check every thing over...

also parts store's can not tell if you have a bad cell in a battery some time's it will come up ok when it really isn't...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  6. CGBear

CGBear Junior Member
    from Chicago

Disconnect and clean all connections. Put some of that red battery spray on the terminals to prevent corrosion. See what that does for you. But you're probably going to have to replace a battery or two.

7. CGBear

CGBear Junior Member
    from Chicago

If you're voltmeter is reading 14 the alternator is fine.

8. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

alt is fine, both batts are fine. maybe im just losing my mind.

9. HeavyD

HeavyD Member

I bet you have some water contamination in your fluid, your motor is working overtime trying to pump it through the system..check it out and check your filters as well, they may be clogged up.
    Heavy D

10. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

sounds like an intermittent problem with the alternator to me.

11. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

You may still want to have your batteries tested. They still might both read 12 volts but one of them might be bad and can't handle a draw. That will show a big drop when operating your plow.

12. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

if the batteries arent maint free get a 4 dollar bat tester and test the water in them you will know for sure if they are good or not....

13. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

This was happening to me the beginning of this season. I had drained and refilled the system with blue hydraulic fluid. Could not figure out what was going on. Then I read a post from one of the pro's (B&B I think it was) regarding fluid and these same symptoms and he said whenever a plow came in with these symptoms, first thing he did was drain the system and fill with Meyer M1 - so this is what I did and the past two storms the needle barely drops. Looking at a quart of M1 fluid I noticed this is even printed on the bottle. I know the stuff is expensive but it def. works better in my plow than the thicker after market stuff so I learned my lesson. Plow is back to moving the way it should be with hardly any draw. I didn't read the entire thread so my apologies if it's been mentioned already.

14. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

im thinking its my fluid. gonna do a drain flush and fill with m1 sometime soon. my only other option was motor getting worn out and pulling too much power.

15. HeavyD

HeavyD Member

What did you find out???? Hope it was just fluid.