1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

amp meter?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by luvmytruck460, Mar 26, 2007.

1. luvmytruck460

luvmytruck460 Junior Member

where can i find an ampmeter i need one for the dual batteries to see how much juice is has?!?! im thinking they are each 1000 amp each so i would need a 2000 amp meter? it would be nice to be able to keep track of battery power while plowing.

funny story i took my truck to autozone to get the alt tested and the guy told me that alternators aren't supposed to charge the battery they are meant to help the battery power the starter, no offense to anyone who works there but im 17 and know thats not what an alternator does! autozone workers don't know much!
  2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Getting a 2000amp meter is not going to tell you the condition of your batteries.

The best way to keep tract of your batteries is to go and buy a +/- amp meter at the parts store, and use that in conjunction with your volt meter on your truck. The amp meter will tell you how many amps are being drawn or how many amps the alternator is charging your battery with. Ideally if the battery is fully charged, and the alternator is supplying the power to run your truck and accessories, the amp meter will read 0 amps, and the volt meter will read ~14.4 volts.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The best way to keep track of the battery state is the VOLT METER.
    An amp meter tends to give false readings to the system status.
    It will be on the + side but the batteries are near depleted due to the work done.
    If the volt meter gives you a reading of 12.5 + the batteries without draws are where they should be.
    Charging is 13.5 to 14.5 if is it charging, your pulling amps, but maintaining near the charge.
    When your dropping below 12.5 volts your losing ground on the battery state.
    With a bunch of amp draw without keeping up with the system the voltage will start to drop. You hit the switch to raise the plow or angle the truck starts to sputter. Let go of the switch and rev the motor.
    At near 9 / 8.5 Volts the computer / coil will not have enough voltage to function (most trucks).
    The truck will shut down and you will need a jump to get it started.
    Make it a habit of scanning your gages when you change directions of travel, it can save your butt.