1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Amount of salt per acre question.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jimmyzlc, Nov 17, 2014.

1. jimmyzlc

jimmyzlc Member

Got a parking lot that is right around an acre. Is there a chart that would give the proper amount in pounds to put this down. Or anyone with the correct answer? Thanks
  2. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

6 to 800 pounds per acre depending on conditions and type of salt.
  3. jimmyzlc

jimmyzlc Member

Thanks, that is what I thought. always good to double check. I got a customer who thinks I don't put down enough. it's roughly a 1/2 acre parking lot and usually 350-450 pounds an application depending on the conditions. so I know I'm well within the range.
  4. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

There's some good threads on here with temperatures and amounts used, you just need to do some digging with the search button and find it.
  5. jimmyzlc

jimmyzlc Member

Thanks, I'll look them up.
  6. frue

frue Member
    from Pa

I answered this in great detail last year but in short 420-675. 675 is on the very high side. I will put that down if I need to buy some time tho
  7. Omega

Omega Member

We use 500#/ac and adjust for wind and temp
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

For my area, 1000#. That's an average over the entire season.

From a half inch at 30* in March to 5* and snowing 2" per hour in January.
  9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

1000/acre Jimmy....that's what I estimate for salt also