1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Amount of oil needed

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by micah79, Sep 20, 2003.

1. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I have a weird question. My truck has the Cummins 5.9l 12 valve(1989). The manual says to put 1 quart of oil in the filter and 11 quarts in the crankcase. When I did my first oil change it was reading 1 qt low on the diopstick after using 12 quarts. So I added a quart. About 1500 miles later I added another half quart to bring it back up to the full level. I just did my second oil change last week. 3,000 miles after the first. I added my 12 quarts like last time and it is reading almost a quart low. I drove the truck for a day and rechecked the next day and I am still a quart low. The dip stick is not bent or anything. It has the normal curve, and it secures flush against the dipstick tube. I am baffled. How can my truck need more oil this time around to fill it up. My first instinct was to just follow the manual and use 12 quarts, but it appears that I now need 14 quarts. (And by the way, I used the same type of oil filter both times, so it can't be that I used a bigger filter this time.) What do I trust, the manual or the dipstick? Or neither??? lol:cry:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2003
  2. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I guess no one like this post? I am wondering though.....

3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Trust the dipstick. I think I remember 14 or 15 qts in one the other day.

Thats how I do it.
    Mark K

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I usually use the Valvoline premium blue 2000 is the 5 quart jugs.3 of them does the trick,with just a hair left over.So somewhere between 14-15 quarts is correct.Trust the dipstick.

5. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Wyldman

I do have the older 12 valve. Mine is 1st generation cummins. Does that make a difference? Will I use less oil? It is 5.9 liter 359 cu.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Nope,they are the same.The newer trucks (24V) seem to hold about half a quart less.