1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Amount of driveays with tractor?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by alcs, Oct 24, 2012.

1. alcs

alcs Member

I am thinking of upgrading my tractor to a larger tractor.
    How many driveways can you average with a 50 hp at pto and
    74' blower

And a 100 hp pto 92" blower

Many thanks for your help.
    Thumbs Up:confused::help:

2. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

We did around 90 last winter with 65 pto HP and a 92" inverted blower. Route a little too spread out. Took about 6 hours.

3. MRHORSEPOWER1

MRHORSEPOWER1 Member

Last winter it was around 140 driveways in about 10 to 11 hours. Couple tight route area, rest of them spread out all over place in Fargo, Moorhead, and West Fargo area. Using JD 6320 (80 pto hp) with 92" Inverted blower. My average is 2 minute per standard double driveway. Not easy to build a tight route around here. A lot of snow contractors around here even though they're right next to several of my accounts. Driving time sucks but way much faster than pickup with plow or pulling trailer around with skid or little tractor with blower on it. I love my tractor/ inverted blower setup very much!

4. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

how fast can those tractors road at? my dinky 18mph drives me crazy.

5. MRHORSEPOWER1

MRHORSEPOWER1 Member

My John Deere 6320 only goes 19 mph top speed (16 spd trans). Can't go fast on bumpy street, it's horrible. I wish my tractor has 24 spd trans (25 mph).

6. newhere

from Fenton

yeah 25 would be nice, i was going to put larger tires on mine to squeeze a few more mph out but i dont think shaving 30 minutes off my time is worth dropping 5 grand on in rubber.

7. alcs

alcs Member

Thanks very much for your info.

Newhere , they dont go very fast anywhere from 14 mph to 21 mph.

My run is very tight right now 125 in 5 hours was hoping if i got a bigger tractor I could increase that to maybe 145 drives with the 50 hp.
    a very big thank you for your help:drinkup::D

8. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Our time for the route stayed virtually same 2" or 9" of snow.

9. Neige

Neige Sponsor

You mention your route is very tight and it takes you 5 hrs to do 125 drives. I believe you should easily increase production with a stronger tractor and wider blower. Our tight routes we average 50 an hour. I totally agree with Herm productivity hardly decreases with larger snow totals.
    I noticed you are from Montreal, if ever you want to come and visit we are located in St-Bruno on the south shore of Montreal. You can call me 514.608.4675

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  10. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

I have been looking into the tractor and blower combo and had a few questions. What size driveways are these and how many do you think a 20-30 hp tractor with a 48inch blower could do on a tight route.

11. alcs

alcs Member

Neige .Thanks for the invite . I have been reading your posts for many a years.
    I hope I can take you up on that .

:bluebounc:blush2:

12. alcs

alcs Member

nnusskem

The driveways fit either 2 cars deep or 2X2 cars deep.
    Single or double

My John deere is 33 hp at the engine 25.5 at the PTO with a 62" rear mounted push style blower. Route Has next to 4km of travelling with 130 Clients.

13. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

Thanks alcs

14. alcs

alcs Member

Always glad to help nnusskern

15. newhere

from Fenton

What do you guys think i can put on the back of a 4720 with 58engine hp ? is a 94" going to be way to big for it?

16. alcs

alcs Member

Newhere.
    It might be to big.
    It will probably work only it will bog down if you got to much snow.

I would prefer to go with a smaller blower maybe a 72" Then you should be able to manipulate the snow better, you should have enough horsepower to throw the snow without slowing things down.

you say 58 hp at the engine, What is the PTO hp and what kind of blower?

17. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

There is a great thread called: switching to a snowblowing service that answers most questions.
    But ask away here as well.
    The 25 to 45hp range is on the light end. I'd think you want 60's and up. Main reason is the amount of snow doesn't bog down bigger units.

18. newhere

from Fenton

no idea what the pto power is.

I dont have any blower yet. That will be the next decision.

19. MRHORSEPOWER1

MRHORSEPOWER1 Member

74" or 82" Normand Inverted Blower should work fine for JD 4720. There's few guys running Kubota 5740 with 74" inverted blower.

20. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I would put a 82" on a JD4720 and smile all night if it was my rig. That would be a sweet combination.