1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Amount of Ballast

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MJLsLawnCareNmo, Nov 9, 2008.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmo

MJLsLawnCareNmo Senior Member

Ok, if the Boss website recommends 500lbs for my exact truck with a GAS engine and my plow setup, what how much weight would I need for the DIESEL engine?

2005 Dodge Ram 3500
    Quad Cab Long Bed (160.5 WB)
    FGAWR (5200)
    5.9 Cummins Diesel

8'2" Power V RT3 Smart Hitch2

Being that Boss doesnt recommend putting this plow on these trucks(diesel), it wont even list a ballast weight. Another thing I found interesting is the 9'2" V XT which is a bigger and heavier plow has a ballast recommendation of ZERO?!?!:dizzy:
  2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Being me, I'd stick 1000# in the bed over the axle. Being a dually, you'll have a bit more float than SRW and being a 3500, the 1000# isn't nothing back there. I like to be able to plow in 2wd also........
  3. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

id go with 1200# or so...
  4. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

They don't recommend the big plow because it will put you over the max front axle weight rating. That rating is much lighter than what it would take to actually break something though so most plow drivers hook it up anyways and don't have any trouble. The Boss plow-picker also assumes you'll have 1200lbs of people in the cab while you are plowing so there's some wiggle room there. Keep the see-saw effect in mind when placing your ballast. The farther back you place it, the more it un-weights the front axle which gets it back down a little closer to the mfg rated max. As mentioned earlier, dually trucks need a lot of weight back there to make 'em ride better too. I've plowed with 2 tons on the back of the F-350 in my signature block and found it much more pleasant than empty. Your calculated minimum ballast is just that: a minimum. A dually could easily handle much more.

Since B&B hasn't already chimed in, I'll say it for him: Being a quad cab, long bed dually, your are probably going to wish you had the bigger 9.2 plow... Oh yeah, he also puts one of these in every time he says that -> :nod:
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You know it aero. ;)