1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ammeter????

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Farmer_01, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Farmer_01

Farmer_01 Member

Hello Everyone,
    I'm new to plowing with little trucks and noticed something that concerned me.

I was swung the plow from side to side then up and down while parked and instead of just paying atten to the plow, today i was watching to see how the truck's electrical system was doing. I looked at the radio and noticed it dimmed slightly. Next I looked at the ammeter and it looked like it was moving almost as fast as the RPM gauge when I moved the plow to it's limits. :eek: I quickly let off the plow controls after seeing this and the gauge quickly returned to indicate it was charging properly. Is this normal for a Snoway 29" plow? I have the heavey duty alternator on my truck. today was the first time I tested my truck in the dark.

The last truck with snowplow I drove was a 1980 Ford tandem dump truck with hydraulic PTO mounted on the trans. It might have been cold inside but it was a tank:nod:

2. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

That is normal. The electric motor uses a lot of power and if you are up against a stop it will draw even more power.
    To reduce the power drop you should add a second battery. The voltage will not drop as much, but will change at a slower rate.

3. Farmer_01

Farmer_01 Member

Thanks, I feel a little better.

I've heard guys mention about extra batteries on their trucks and there really is not much room under the hood on the new Dodges. Maybe I'll look into putting annother battery under the back seat or in the bed. Not an ideal place I know. I'd lean towards the back seat. Anybody know of any closed containers to keep a battery in if mounted inside the truck. I would preferr not having the fumes in the cab. I know they don't produce a lot of fumes, but why take the chance.

4. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

You could also put a higher amp battery in it. This would give you more current to draw from since there is not a lot of room for a second battery.

Just a thought! :salute:

5. Farmer_01

Farmer_01 Member

Thanks,

my truck is about 4 months old, i have a battery load tester on hand so I'll just have to keep an eye on it and if it goes south soon I'll replace it.
    I'd preferr 2 Batteries, but if it's not very practical, I shall go with as big a bat. that I can.:gunsfiring:

6. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Not in favor of the battery in the cab idea!

:waving: Hi, I'm not in favor of you having the battery in the cab. :nono: Fumes yes! Do you smoke? Fumes :yow!: How about a leaking battery? Carpets get replaced! If you have your heart set on that then How about going to a boating supply store or even Wal-Mart actually. Get a 7.00 battery box ( plastic ) that would be used on a boat!
    Try that!

PaleRider :gunsfiring:

7. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Your plow probably draws over 100 amps, that is a LOT of power, so you will definitely see a big drop when you use it. On an older car with a straight ammeter you can even see a bounce in the voltage if you signal sometimes. It is normal to see a voltage drop when your vehicle suddenly needs about 4 times the juice it did one second earlier.

PS, you will still see a voltage drop with 2 batteries.
    -Jer