1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Amber strobe ?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by jkrezdorn, Dec 18, 2015.

1. jkrezdorn

jkrezdorn Member

Just bought a 16 F250 to replace my 04 chevy 2500 with a Blizzard 8/10 plow. I am thinking about the atomic cab lights for the roof, but they won't be seen from the rear. I noticed Ford has an empty red lens below the brake lights. I 1 inch hole will easily fit. Will an amber led look amber in it? I also have the upfitter switches 2- 25 amp and 2-10 amp. Thinking of both flashers on one 25 if that would be ok? not sure of the amp draw on the modules. I live in PA and also not sure if red can strobe in rear? Any suggestions? I want to go from a small magnetic strobe on roof to a nice setup.

Thanks in advance

Joe

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You.can't put any red flashing or strobing lights in a no police vehicle.
    Amber in red will still be red.

3. jkrezdorn

jkrezdorn Member

I was thinking that just not sure. I figured red was out in rear. What a waste of space. I will look at the upper brake cab lights. Hope I can fit something in there. Thanks.

4. jkrezdorn

jkrezdorn Member

Wow. Not gonna fit in there. Unless someone makes an LED light/flasher combo.

5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Not to start the age old argument, but on private property you can do whatever you want. On road you'd be illegal but on private property they can't do anything.

6. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Feniex Cannon are a 3 mode dual color led haw. If you get the Amber/white you are supposed to be able to remove the reverse light and replace with the haw with a mode for white steady burn, one for amber strobe and a extra for a second pattern or you could tie into work lights to turn on when not in reverse.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

True that.

Amber and only turned on when actively engaged and in snow plowing.
    (not on when driving to the next account)

8. CoastalEVS

CoastalEVS Sponsor
    from NJ

You want to match the color led to the color lense for otimum performance with the exception of clear lenses.

9. jkrezdorn

jkrezdorn Member

Thanks, I will check out Feniex Cannon for backup lights

10. CoastalEVS

CoastalEVS Sponsor
    from NJ

We offer a discount for plowsite users.

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That's what I installed a few months ago. They do the trick

12. chevyhauler

chevyhauler Senior Member

Just bought the atomic roof marker/strobes for my '11 in smoke (amber strobes). I will let you know how they look/work once I install them (and the hidden amber LED strobes in the backup lights).

13. jkrezdorn

jkrezdorn Member

Thanks, I was looking at the smoked also. They look more like black than smoked. I am going to check, but I think as long as the glow amber they should be legal here in PA. They will look awesome on my dark blue truck. I am also guessing that you have to get the hole in the backup light to 1"? Should be no problem with a dremil. I really wish the lower red vacant bulb lens on my new truck were amber. It seems like such a waste of space.:dizzy:

14. chevyhauler

A dealer in town told me that the smoked lenses block some of the strobe light so they don't have as much "pop" as the clear/amber lens. I figured that would be ok since it is not what is in front of me that I am as worried about as what is behind me (backing up etc.) I just wanted to let u know that the smoked lens does block some of the strobe's light output.
    Same thoughts here with the backup light. On my Chevy I have two large red lights and a smaller clear backup light. I went with a nice and compact amber LED strobe to have enough room. As a carpenter (I know...I know....snowplowing is dominated by landscapers! :) I have a full assortment of hole saws so cutting the 1" hole and/or the larger hole (if it's a double wall light) should be no problem.

15. jkrezdorn

jkrezdorn Member

LOL! I am not a landscaper either, I used to be a painting contractor. My bad. How will you use a hole saw if the opening is say 5/8"? I too have many size hole saws. Please shot me a pic when finished. I am waiting until after Christmas to order them. Who did you use?

16. chevyhauler

I have a bunch of hole saws. The hide-a-way strobes that I got need a 1" hole. If it ends up being a double wall light (just had it out a week ago but didn't look) then I will drill a 1.25" hole in the outer wall to give me room to screw in the strobe into the 1" hole inside.
    After not being able to finish my sander frame today... I may not be getting to my strobes until after Christmas too. Supposed to rain here the next two days. At least it's not snow!!!!
    I tried getting both the hide-a-ways AND the Atomics from Strobes & More but the manufacturer (Atomic)was out of the roof ones and was not "due" to get them for at least a month. I did a bunch of searching for someone who might have the roof ones in stock. I found that AW Direct had 6 of them so I had to pay $35 more but got them in 4 days. I still got the hide-a-ways from Strobes & More.
    What kind of truck are you putting these on?
    You may need to do some searching to find them. Many suppliers order them from Atomic AS orders are placed so if Atomic is out of them, you are SOL. Try AW Direct if u run into that. They sell a TON of lights so the stocked them.

17. jkrezdorn

jkrezdorn Member

Putting them on a Ford F250 Super Duty. I guess I better check around. I do typically only plow my business, so I could wait if I have to. It's just nice to be seen. I have had customers come to Look at their storage unit in the middle of a storm.

18. chevyhauler

If you are plowing storage units you will not need a ton of strobe light output to be seen. I have an old 18" cheap LED light bar on my '02. I find that when I am near buildings the light makes the buildings themselves blink. It's when u r in the middle of a large parking lot that the only thing that u see is the lights themselves. I assume that your storage units have the typical driveways (40' or 50' wide) between each row of units. IF that is the case, you will find that the buildings themselves will blink as your strobes do. Makes your light install easier than some people who really need to load up.

19. jkrezdorn

jkrezdorn Member

I used have a magnetic amber strobe on roof. I want something that looks nice when not in use. The Atomic cab lights are awesome, but can't be seen from the rear. So I will probably get Fenix for backup lights. That shouldn't be too much. I've been plowing site since 1999 and never had issues with light reflection on buildings. Just want to keep it simple and look good doing it.

20. backupbuddy

backupbuddy Senior Member

Check out back-upbuddy.com we have an amber strobe and backup lighting unit that you might interested in.