1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Amber Lightbar Laws?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fordplowdude, Feb 22, 2006.

Amber Light Permit

1. Use Amber Lights WIth A Permit

2 vote(s)
  2. Use Amber Lights With No Permit

65 vote(s)
  3. No Amber Lights

5 vote(s)
  1. fordplowdude

fordplowdude Member

I've been thinking of placing a mini lightbar on my truck but today someone told me that in NJ I must have a permit to use a amber lightbar. Is this true? :help: If so, do you guys use them even without a permit? Also, what kind of trouble could you get in if the police enforce it? Thanks
  2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I have a amber revolving light with the magnetic mount on my ATV with plow. For safety reasons, I would never think of plowing without the light on, for fear of being hit my some unalert driver. As far as I know, you don't need a permit IF THE LIGHT IS AMBER, AND YOU'RE PLOWING, NOT TRYING TO PUSH YOUR WAY THROUGH TRAFFIC. Hope this helps.
  3. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

dont need permits in michigan .... and if you do ... i never had one ..
  4. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Amber lights and NJ law

Log on to

http:// www.state.nj.us

and search for "amber light". You will find the form for a 4 yr permit, as well as the stated laws.

Here in PA, amber lights are recommended, but no permits (that I know of) are required.
  5. dumper

dumper Junior Member

MUST have a permit in NJ!!!

To get a permit to use an amber light for plowing or sanding, you MUST have a contract with a GOVERNMENT agency!!

Permit has to be obtained from the Cheif of Police in the town it is being used in.

Penalty is quite high for use without a permit. MANDATORY court appearance if you get a ticket!!

Odds are you will never get caught, but if you do it will be a problem!!
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  6. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Rhode Island law lets you use an amber light if you are plowing. ( I keep mine on during the whole storm, as 2wd vehicles in snow scare me!)

In RI, you can have red or white strobes if you are a volunteer fireman or rescue

7. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

"To get a permit to use an amber light for plowing or sanding, you MUST have a contract with a GOVERNMENT agency!!

Permit has to be obtained from the Cheif of Police in the town it is being used in.

Penalty is quite high for use without a permit. MANDATORY court appearance if you get a ticket!!

Odds are you will never get caught, but if you do it will be a problem!!"

Talk to the chief of police, sheriff, and HP and get their take on it. They may be aware of exceptions. It may be time for a number of professional groups to gather and get some legislation passed for safety's sake. Shouldn't be too difficult. Talk to others in the area that are using amber lights, they may be in the know about exemptions that you aren't aware of.
  8. fordplowdude

fordplowdude Member

I was looking at the form and it says when your doing work for a goverment agency and when the work is complete they must be removed. I seen plenty of people around NJ with strobes that are perminatly mounted on their trucks and there is no way they could have continously stead work with a goverment agency. So how do they have them? All illegal? Lastly, I didn't see anything in the forms where it states a mandatory court appearence or fine/ticket. sorry for the rant. Just another dumb law.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  9. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

10. CyberJay

CyberJay Junior Member

FWIW, I plow mostly in Trenton, but also West Windsor, Lawrenceville, Hamilton, Yardville, and East Windsor... I have WHITE hideaways(I would have ordered amber but I made a mistake when ordering) and I've been right in front of cops many times, different municipalities, never a problem. I've seen some superduties from a Hamilton based paving company parked on the sides of the road in the summer with white strobes on. Everyone I plow with has at least an amber beacon on the roof, and none of them have permits.

I think following the law exactly is great and more power to you for looking it up. But, if it becomes too much work for you, you probably don't need to worry about it.

Good luck!

Edit: Just for clarification, I ONLY use my strobes when operating my plow(not while transporting). 80% of this is on private property but I do need to clear a few large entrances where I'm perpendicular to traffic right in the middle of the street for 5 minutes. I think as long as you don't abuse your lights no one will have a problem with them.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  11. dumper

dumper Junior Member

First Hand Experience In Nj.........

EVERYTHING I wrote above is true, and sooner or later, you might get caught!

Was in court last month. Driver left a portable, plug-in amber light on the roof when he was not plowing. Got pulled over on Route 17 at a Bergen County road check. Showed the cop the amber light permit (we have a government contract and all permits). Cop could find nothing wrong with truck, issued a ticket for amber light mis-use.

Called court, checked on internet, called DMV. ALL agreed ticket could not be paid by mail, MANDATORY court appearence.

After five hours in the courtroom, case was dismissed because cop did not show up. Prosecuter said fine would have been appx $150.00, plus $75.00 court costs.

Might be stupid, etc, but really NOT worth the hassle if you get caught!

This was on a road, law does not apply on private property, but make sure to hide the light when done plowing!
  12. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

we have yellow light permits for all the trucks maybe minus a few new ones.. we do hydroseeding/landscaping on njdot jobs and filled out all the paperwork years ago. also you will fail inspection if you go through and have some type of lights mounted to your vehicle. odds are you you'll never get caught but all ya gotta do is find the right cop.. i think the law is good and bad.. but you got some joe pro snow plow guys out there with a 2g led light bar, strobe lights in every lense on their vehicle, lights hanging from thier front and back windows. ya can't even pass these creamers on the road with their laser light shows...
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  13. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

...and I thought Mass. tried to be a PITA as much as possible!
  14. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

It says have commercial, government tags and or contract with goverment agency

I don't run them on my trucks so I never looked in to it so I dont know for sure
  15. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

16. dumper

dumper Junior Member

Read NJ law carefully.............

commercial plates etc applies to tow trucks.

Spin it all you want, to be on a public road and have an amber light on your truck, turned on or turned off, you need a permit.

To get the permit, you need to be a tow truck or service vehicle, or have a snow contract with a government agency.

Regardless, you MUST get the application signed by a Police Chief.

Any other advise you want to listen to, I really don't care, I am just trying to help. Listen if you want, if not, sooner or later you WILL have a problem!!!
  17. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

There is no law like that here. In Maine, I think you can even have a blue or red light too, as long as you don't turn it on.